Mead clarification question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkshardx

Reaction score
In prep for bottling, I've been cold crashing my mead for around a week. As you can see in the picture, I have around two inches of solids hanging at the bottom of my carboy. I'd prefer not to waste those two inches of mead by racking off of it. Is there any product or technique I can use to get these solids to settle more fully onto the bottom of the carboy?? Thanks!!

IMAG0543.jpg

The technique i use is to rack off the lees being very careful to leave behind the "fluffy" lees. Then bottle the clear Mead.

The lees and little bit of mead if placed in a small sanitized jug (Growler or left over honey container) placed back in the cooler will settle out again. Allowing you to decant (Slowly pour off the clear Mead) Allowing you to capture a good portion of the additional Mead.

NOTE - DO not pour back in the carboy, bottle it separately as there is a chance (very unlikely but better to be safe) through handling you have added too much oxygen or other nasties.

My feeling is that if there are any lees in the carboy, the mead isn't ready to be bottled. I'd rack, and let it sit until no lees fell at all and the mead is totally and completely clear. If you can read a newspaper through it, and there are NO lees on the bottom at all after 60 days, then I'd consider bottling it

Back