Me: Obvious immediate dumper. Wife: I like it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clickondan

Reaction score
Thought this is interesting enough to put out there. I just brewed an amber ale with several ounces of Willamette hops from my buddy's hop garden.

I dried the hops myself, and I think I dried them too vigorously or for too long. They smelled and tasted good themselves, but the beer?... Lower than expected IBU and boatloads of isovaleric acid. Which, I've never tasted before but knew immediately what it was when I tapped this keg and I never want to taste it again. I can't even sip this beer.

I let my wife try it so she could commiserate with me (and understand why I was dumping a keg), and she says "Not my favorite beer, but I don't know what you're talking about. Just tastes a little green." (which, is also true I guess, under the stank). And she maintained her opinion even after I told her what to taste for.

Usually, she's more sensitive than I am to many brew process off flavors. Go figure.

I made a rye pale ale once a few years ago and I hated it. I let them sit in the basement because I hated the thought about dumping them out. One day my wife ran out of her beer and wanted a night cap. I said, "I have this rye pale ale in the basement that I don't really like." She wanted to try it and she loved it so she drank the rest of them. It felt good not having it go to waste.
One man's trash is another woman's night cap!

I brewed a blonde with US05 and fermented way too cold, it came out peachy as hell. I hated it. Almost dumped it, but then made some radlers with it and grapefruit juice, and that made it pretty good. But, I brought in 5 different homebrews for coworkers and everyone here loved the blonde the most. Really odd to me. :shrug:

I brewed a blonde with US05 and fermented way too cold, it came out peachy as hell. I hated it. Almost dumped it, but then made some radlers with it and grapefruit juice, and that made it pretty good. But, I brought in 5 different homebrews for coworkers and everyone here loved the blonde the most. Really odd to me. :shrug:

I did that with US05 once, it was the first beer I made with a temp controlled fermentation chamber, so I got excited and did it at 60F I think. It was very peachy.

My first beer I ever made was full of mistakes. To much extract, pitched yeast before cooling wort, bottled to soon, undercarbed etc...

To this date I still have everyone wanting me to make another bath of it. I was embarrassed to even let people try it at first.

Not sure how to recreate inexperience and mistakes lol

I made on I hated but my lady loved. An imperial ginger. Tasted hella weird to me, finished too high gravity, overly ginger hot, but she loved it, so at least it didn't go to waste. Always weird when that happens though.

Back