McMead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that KFC uses a honey flavored product. Good to know McD's is lookin out for us. Too bad about the packet loss. I was interested in seeing how this went.

This battle isn't over!!!! I'm not going to give up. If anyone frequents McDonald's and can offer to send a few packets my way that would be great just PM me for my address. I am thinking of approaching the owner of the local McD's and offer to trade him a few bottles for a case of packets.

This battle isn't over!!!! I'm not going to give up. If anyone frequents McDonald's and can offer to send a few packets my way that would be great just PM me for my address. I am thinking of approaching the owner of the local McD's and offer to trade him a few bottles for a case of packets.

Screw the owner - go to the pimply 16 year old working the counter :D

Good to see ya back on the horse!

Back up to 100 packets. I did let this fall by the way side for some time due to starting a new job. 500 packets here I come! Not sure how to get the honey out of the packets yet. I will cross that bridge where I get there. There will be pictures to document the effort. Then I need to design the label. Would like to have this in the primary by the end of summer.

I thought about this at one time while at Starbucks with all the honey packets sitting on the counter, put some in my coffee and took a couple home but gave up on the idea (would have made a good coffee mead). Happy to see you are following through where others gave up and on your second attempt! Best wishes to your delicious McMead!!!

Ha! What an awesome idea (thanks for the bump Exotic or I would have missed this!)
I don't think Maccy D's do honey over here (UK), what does it normally come with?

Haha, this is awesome. Buy like 30 of those apple pies and scrape out all the apple cinnamon filling for flavoring.

It would probably be easier to start an apiary...

Hey, he's not doing it because it's easy. Was it easy for Columbus to find the new world? No. Was it easy for Neil Armstrong to land on the moon? No. Wat it easy for me to dip this deep into hyperbole? Actually, yes. It comes naturally. :ban:

Hey, he's not doing it because it's easy. Was it easy for Columbus to find the new world? No. Was it easy for Neil Armstrong to land on the moon? No. Wat it easy for me to dip this deep into hyperbole? Actually, yes. It comes naturally. :ban:

"You see, kids, when columbus set sail in a little rickety boat and let it ride all the way to the new world on a single tank of gas, that was a gamble. Ben franklin, thomas edison, albert einstein-- all gamblers." ~ Clark W. Grizwold

:D

I keep meaning to do this. Maybe with a little compeition to get 'r done, the OP will be more motivated. :mug:

hah, this is classic. I read the first post and was thinking that McD must use the same crap KFC uses - guess not - good for them. I remember awhile back as I was putting "honey" on my KFC biscuit and decided to read the package, it was basically just honey scented high fructose corn syrup - yuck, haven't been back to KFC since actually.

"Oh, I hated the Colonel, with his weee beaty eyes, and that smug look on his face...Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken.."

"Oh, I hated the Colonel, with his weee beaty eyes, and that smug look on his face...Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken.."

I saw the Colonel live in a parade in Portland when I was a kid. He looked 175 years old sitting on that red and white striped float.
It stopped right in front of us while the clowns were scooping some horse poop outta the way. My Dad says, "Look Jason, it's Colonel Sanders! The guy who started KFC!" But then old man Sanders starts coughing and gagging and choking. The crowd starts all looking at each other like "we might get to see the end of ole whitey right here and now!" Finally he hawks up a nasty loogy and launches that thing onto the pavement right in front of us to a low chorus of "uuuuuuuuuughs" from the crowd.
I would bet my mortgage that KFC sales figures in the greater Portland metro area dropped significantly for a period of time.

We need an update on McMead!!

Honest question: are the packets really honey? Not cut with HFCS?
According to McDonald's website the ingredients are listed as 100% Pure Grade A Honey

According to the FDA,"Manufacturers must now label products as honey "blends" if they include anything other than pure honey produced by bees"

So I'm fairly certain I'm dealing with straight honey. Blended from around the world I am sure as I state in my video, but if it were from any other smaller 'Shade Tree' vendor I would be suspect.

P.S.- I'm headed down to Texas for Turkey Day so I won't start this until after I get back so I can monitor it, feed it, rack it on time etc. I'll post the next video when I make it....the mead...and the video. I'll be sure to bottle it in sample sizes too so that if anyone visits the KC area afterwards we can meet and have a taste test. :)

Last edited:
Update:

I finished with 299 packets from McDonalds.

I've actually put a 1gal McMead (85pkts 2.5lbs) in the buck (video coming soon) I also plan to do a 1gal McApple just for kicks. There should be enough honey left over to back sweeten to a proper McDonald's sweetness.

This is truly a pain in the butt, getting the honey and then getting it OUT of the packets took FOREVER!!! But it'll be fun to say I actually did it when its done.

Update:

I finished with 299 packets from McDonalds.

I've actually put a 1gal McMead (85pkts 2.5lbs) in the buck (video coming soon) I also plan to do a 1gal McApple just for kicks. There should be enough honey left over to back sweeten to a proper McDonald's sweetness.

This is truly a pain in the butt, getting the honey and then getting it OUT of the packets took FOREVER!!! But it'll be fun to say I actually did it when its done.
Awesome!

OK I've been out a while and I didn't make a video but the McMead is done and bottled!!! It actually tastes pretty damn good. I back sweetened it nice and thick as befits a product made from McD's ingredients. Was a lot of fun and I am really glad I managed to finish what appears to have never been done before. Super happy with the finished product.

Attachments

• 280517214_5523727734325531_1728940141712147555_n.jpg
    280517214_5523727734325531_1728940141712147555_n.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 0
Back