Maybe the ABInBev haters can let up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientist451

Reaction score
ABInBev & MillerCoors are helping the flooding victims:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...to-harvey-victims_us_59a42082e4b06d67e3391249

A good PR move? Yes it is, and something your local brewery with less resources just can't afford to do.

In 2015, the company said it had donated more than 73 Million cans of emergency water since 1988 and delivers an average of 2 million cans a year.

I'm still not drinking Bud Light ClamaRita or whatever they are pushing these days, but I have to say thanks to them for trying to help.

Note that MillerCoors is also canning emergency water and using one of their small breweries in Texas, Revolver Brewing, as a distribution point and also donated $25,000 to the red cross.

I am very happy to hear of the many helping those in need right now. And just think, many of our homebrewing community probably live in the areas being affected. It's hard for some of us to imagine losing our brew shop to major flooding. Of course, there are more important things being lost. I sincerely hope for the quickest recovery and healing for those close to the tragedy.

I am very happy to hear of the many helping those in need right now. And just think, many of our homebrewing community probably live in the areas being affected. It's hard for some of us to imagine losing our brew shop to major flooding. Of course, there are more important things being lost. I sincerely hope for the quickest recovery and healing for those close to the tragedy.

Since they own a good portion of the home brewing market now, They should send so home brewing supplies so the effected refugees can make thier own safe drinking supply,
Think of all that home brew that could be made to make otherwise unsafe water, "safe" to drink again just like they did in mid evil times when the water was full of bacteria and plague....:tank:
In all seriousness I applaud them for their contribution during this disaster.

It's an appropriate and good thing for a multinational company to help during emergencies and am glad that they are able and willing to help. It is part of their civic duty to help those in need in times of crisis. I am immensely grateful they recognize the need and can assist. The gulf coast will need as much help as they can get to recover from this.

However, the small local breweries are also not able to assist not only from lack of resources nor a lack of desire but because they are also affected by the hurricane and flooding.

A few acts of kindness (and a nice tax right-off), doesn't erase the years of unfair play throughout their industry's distribution system. I don't feel this absolves them and don't plan on purchasing any of their products because of this act of generosity.

Not taking their side, but the locals can help and probably are helping in their own way

Doesn't have to be $$$

Are any of you on this thread living in Texas where the devastation is?

If not you should chill out

There's more at stack here than beer!

It's a tragedy and you should send help instead of criticizing those who are

A few acts of kindness (and a nice tax right-off), doesn't erase the years of unfair play throughout their industry's distribution system. I don't feel this absolves them and don't plan on purchasing any of their products because of this act of generosity.

This right here ^^^

Not taking their side, but the locals can help and probably are helping in their own way

Doesn't have to be $$$

Are any of you on this thread living in Texas where the devastation is?

If not you should chill out

There's more at stack here than beer!

It's a tragedy and you should send help instead of criticizing those who are
Um I dont think anyone has said anything out of line? Our opinion on this matter will have no effect on any outcome so perhaps you should take your own advice here.. no ones shouting or carrying stakes and torches..
Nobody is criticizing inbev for sending aid? They are just saying it shouldn't absolve hem of all the wrongdoing they have done either... thats a pretty fair point of view IMO. :mug:

What Lump42 said completely reasonable and on topic with the discussion here at this BEER forum... This thread is afterall in the beer discussion section and the title does pretty much nail what type of discussion the OP knew he would generate... the fact remains inbev made thier fortune with unfair and shady practices trying to push down and crush any competition with some pretty crummy practices and even now they silently are trying to buy out the craft beer industry as well as homebrewing and gain as much control over it as they can.. I dont think emotionally moving superbowl commercials or generous donations are going to change any or that.

They've been doing this for large disaster relief for decades. It's a great gesture. Doesn't mean squat with regards to their heavy hand approach to the beer market.

You all need to come down a bit off your pedestals and get a life

People are homeless and in trouble down there and all you can do is throw stones at a company of local employees helping their own

Maybe as the thread states, let it go until its over, than bash the crap out of them if you choose

People are homeless and in trouble down there and all you can do is throw stones at a company of local employees helping their own

Maybe as the thread states, let it go until its over, than bash the crap out of them if you choose

Like previously said, they have been doing it for decades. But none of that will ever change my view on their practices in business. Plus the view from up on my pedestal is excellent, as is my life.

Don't misconstrue this is as some sort of Christian altruism. This is the marketing department using 0.05% of their budget.

A few kind acts does not make them saints.

Doing the right thing once does not mean that you shouldn't keep looking for ways to do the right thing.

But I am glad that they are working to make a positive difference in this situation.

Like previously said, they have been doing it for decades. But none of that will ever change my view on their practices in business. Plus the view from up on my pedestal is excellent, as is my life.

You sound like the protester complaining about capitalism while taking a selfie with his new iPhone 7. JMO

I'm probably reading the comments incorrectly, but it sounds like a few of you think saving lives is less important than fair allotment of shelf space for a non-essential product.

No one is on a pedestal here. I hate the company, but am thankful they are sending water. I hate Wal-mart as a company also, but that is where donations are being taken in Rockport. HEB is cooking food for people- hot meals for those in Rockport. (I heard they were in Victoria yesterday). I shop at HEB when I'm there, and I love the company, but the fact that they are bringing food and a cook trailer(?) is admirable even if you dislike their business practices.

It's a disaster for sure. All of my friends and neighbors are safe, but some have lost everything. Not only lost everything, but have to spend what little they have cleaning up the mess of their lives. The people I know had all evacuated. All I had there was an old bicycle, on a friends back deck. It's still there, only about 15 feet away. Other people have cars that are GONE and one house in the neighborhood is in the sea completely. The whole entire house is gone into the sea, about 5 feet offshore.

The Art Center where I take painting classes is an old Victorian, beautifully done. Well it was- it's ruined now. My yoga studio is likely beyond any fix at all.

The mayor (Rockport) said that 30-40% of homes and business are totally destroyed, and another 30-40% are structurally unsound and beyond repair. His estimate was 70% of buildings are therefore a total loss.

My neighbor last said she was trying to get in, and I haven't heard from her since yesterday. I saw the videos taken by those who made it in, and it's absolutely devastating. Unbelievable.

No one here is making light of those facts.

Yes! They are doing a good thing and I am certainly grateful for any act of philanthropy that they commit (regardless of motive).

I do want to ask all those anti-InBev patrons a question of values.

In a crisis, would you turn down water from Anheuser? If their water did save your life, would your opinion of the company change? Or would you stay true to yourself and allow your "hate" for the company threaten your life?

In a crisis, would you turn down water from Anheuser? If their water did save your life, would your opinion of the company change? Or would you stay true to yourself and allow your "hate" for the company threaten your life?

I would not expect anyone in an emergency to turn away help regardless of the source. These are extreme circumstances and as such things are often done outside of one's values and morals to survive. However, their resources and aid don't change my opinion of their past and current business practices.

I did't approve or support walmart, but that doesn't mean I turned away their help when tornadoes hit home. There assistance hasn't changed my opinions of their business practices. Just has made me grateful they felt compelled to give back to communities regardless if it was motivated by altruism, civic duty, marketing stunts, or tax-write offs (or likely all the above reasons).

You sound like the protester complaining about capitalism while taking a selfie with his new iPhone 7. JMO

Just as I have my own opinions, you have yours and that is fine. But even with their helping out through the tragedy, do you think they will change their business practices? Of course they won't, they will go right back to trying to squash the competition. Even getting off the main topic here, I hate Apple also, and don't use any of their products.

To my knowledge, the "major brewers" can water, on a regular basis, to have on hand for just such situations, be it domestic or foreign needs.

It can sit in a warehouse for who knows how long, sans refrigeration.

It's an admirable undertaking by any firm, be it a brewer or whatever.

It's a damn smooth P/R move , by anyone who has the capability to do it.

Don't like their 'bidness practices, don't buy from them.

Best I recall, said business practices of "cornering the market" and the like, had roots in something known as "capitalism".....;)

Yes! They are doing a good thing and I am certainly grateful for any act of philanthropy that they commit (regardless of motive).

I do want to ask all those anti-InBev patrons a question of values.

I'm sure we'd all find a way to choke down AB water if we were in their shoes. Sort of like all the Texas politicians who voted against Sandy assistance for those in need are now seeking the same assistance they voted against. We all eat crow at some point in our lives. You just have to do it humbly.
Hell, I think they should put 3 bud's and 3 waters in every 6er they hand out. God knows I'm sure all those people need a beer even if it's a crappy one!! :mug:

I'm probably reading the comments incorrectly, but it sounds like a few of you think saving lives is less important than fair allotment of shelf space for a non-essential product.

I used to work with an Indian woman, and saw her start crying one day when a coworker killed a large beetle at work.

In WWII, there were over 40 million Russian casualties (military and civilian), and Stalin still ate his breakfast every morning with a smile.

The importance of life is vastly different, depending on perspective.

IMO, everyone in the area had a very large window to understand the warnings and evacuate. They were told this storm was huge and destructive. There should have been 0 deaths, except for maybe some infrastructure workers and first responders who settled in for the storm. Now the State and Local authorities are ramping up efforts to save these people who wouldn't listen, costing us millions of tax dollars and putting these rescuers lives/health at a high risk. Yeah, I know. That's one hell of a perspective.

You hear lots of excuses, like "I had to work", "I don't have the money to leave", or "someone will steal my belongings". Ok. I understand. The importance of life is vastly different, depending on perspective. But by staying, they certainly knew there was a good chance they would be putting other lives at risk along with their own... and didn't care. Would this be considered perspective, or criminal? In almost any other case, it would be criminal. This one has been labeled a tragedy.

What about people who decided to stay, but didn't relocate and instead endangered their children (who don't have a choice in the matter)? They make their children wear helmets to ride bikes, but won't leave when an almost certain catastrophic storm is looming in the distance? Again... all about perspective. In almost any other case, it would be criminal. But again, it's a tragedy instead.

The nursing home companies that didn't relocate the very people they are paid to care for and protect? Perspective? No. Absolutely ciminal. This is the lowest of low... but I guess that's just how I feel.

Yes, this whole event is a tragedy in my opinion and the entire area needs help now. A horrible experience for those involved. Texans are historically tough. They will band together and will get through this event. I have faith in them.

But I can't help but wonder how many people feel the real tragedy here is that Darwinism doesn't have the chance to work it's magic. For every Ghandi, there's always a Stalin...

I'm sure my nonsensical ramblings will be deleted shortly by mods. I can understand their perspective. I thought about deleting it before I hit the submit button! But I put a lot of time into it, and figured what the hell! It's just ramblings from an idiot anyways...

:ban:

Oh!

Now, the argument of the fair allotment of shelf space for a non-essential product. If you're bribing and/or strong-arming someone to sell items in your line of business in a favorable way for your product... it's a criminal offence.

Doing the right thing in one instance doesnt absolve them of being an utter ****pile of a company.

Just because they have done this good thing that yes it IS a good thing.. so will they not be doing the other stuff that people absolutely despise them for tomorrow? lol nope.

IMO, everyone in the area had a very large window to understand the warnings and evacuate. They were told this storm was huge and destructive. There should have been 0 deaths, except for maybe some infrastructure workers and first responders who settled in for the storm.

It's complicated. Moving several million people out of the area would have resulted in deaths also. And just picking up and leaving is not always as easy as it sounds, especially for the very poor.

How could anyone talk down about a person or company WHILE in the middle of voluntarily helping people....Shameful immaturity

Yeah but how do you know that while they are helping out, that they are not having corporate meetings elsewhere on who to buy or squash next. After all they still have a business to run, and I don't see them ceasing any other operations because of it all.

Last edited:
Yeah but how do you know that while they are helping out, that they are not having corporate meetings elsewhere on who to buy or squash next.
Maybe they are...and should be. Their only obligation is to keep their business profitable for THEIR employees. Business takeovers happen everyday everywhere in the world. I'm thinking any one of the thousands of average Joe workers Inbev employs would rather have them grow for a lifetime of job security than have them become complacent and sweat over layoffs....its just the world works

Yeah but how do you know that while they are helping out, that they are not having corporate meetings elsewhere on who to buy or squash next. After all they still have a business to run, and I don't see them ceasing any other operations because of it all.

Unlike, the rather sad, culture of entitlement we have developed in this country. They don't pass out participation medals in business! You have to earn your spot! Produce better beer! Have better business sense....the whole goal of business is to be better than the competition

I used to work with an Indian woman, and saw her start crying one day when a coworker killed a large beetle at work.

In WWII, there were over 40 million Russian casualties (military and civilian), and Stalin still ate his breakfast every morning with a smile.

IMO, everyone in the area had a very large window to understand the warnings and evacuate. They were told this storm was huge and destructive. There should have been 0 deaths, except for maybe some infrastructure workers and first responders who settled in for the storm. Now the State and Local authorities are ramping up efforts to save these people who wouldn't listen, costing us millions of tax dollars and putting these rescuers lives/health at a high risk. Yeah, I know. That's one hell of a perspective.

You hear lots of excuses, like "I had to work", "I don't have the money to leave", or "someone will steal my belongings". Ok. I understand. The importance of life is vastly different, depending on perspective. But by staying, they certainly knew there was a good chance they would be putting other lives at risk along with their own... and didn't care. Would this be considered perspective, or criminal? In almost any other case, it would be criminal. This one has been labeled a tragedy.

What about people who decided to stay, but didn't relocate and instead endangered their children (who don't have a choice in the matter)? They make their children wear helmets to ride bikes, but won't leave when an almost certain catastrophic storm is looming in the distance? Again... all about perspective. In almost any other case, it would be criminal. But again, it's a tragedy instead.

The nursing home companies that didn't relocate the very people they are paid to care for and protect? Perspective? No. Absolutely ciminal. This is the lowest of low... but I guess that's just how I feel.

Yes, this whole event is a tragedy in my opinion and the entire area needs help now. A horrible experience for those involved. Texans are historically tough. They will band together and will get through this event. I have faith in them.

But I can't help but wonder how many people feel the real tragedy here is that Darwinism doesn't have the chance to work it's magic. For every Ghandi, there's always a Stalin...

I'm sure my nonsensical ramblings will be deleted shortly by mods. I can understand their perspective. I thought about deleting it before I hit the submit button! But I put a lot of time into it, and figured what the hell! It's just ramblings from an idiot anyways...

Except there was no evacuation ordered. Despite warnings from everyone the local government chose not to evacuate.

Except there was no evacuation ordered. Despite warnings from everyone the local government chose not to evacuate.

This is true, although I did not mention anything about people being ordered to evacuate.

The importance of life is vastly different, depending on perspective. Historically, governments have been more inclined to put their people through a meat grinder then concentrate on the people's well being.

Instead of the local government being held responsible for the debacle, they will be held up high for their above and beyond effort to help the poor souls who this disaster has ravaged.

Politics. Never let a good disaster go to waste. I'm sure the local government will make out well with some disaster relief spending.

Is it a cold and heartless view? Yeah, probably... and I'm not comfortable with it. Sometimes you need to look at situations without emotions and nationalism. We'll see how things shake out in the coming years. I hope the best for the people. :mug:

I dont judge anyone for their opinion, and I respect yours but your post got me thinking. Thankfully, I'm not in the situation that the people in Texas are facing, but can I honestly say that I would have left with the same warnings? Like Draken said, there was no evacuation ordered. I tend to dismiss hysteria on the news, and I really think I would have stayed until I started seeing the evidence firsthand. Maybe at that time it would have been too late to get out, but how do you know?

Would you have left at the first news warning? Do you board your windows and doors everytime the news warns about something? When is the appropriate time to heed the warnings? After all, the weatherman is correct everyday! Right!?

It's hard to say until you're placed in that situation....

Back