Maybe I'm looking at this wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 78027

Reaction score
I am fairly new to brewing, I have made 4 extract batches and 4 BIAB batches. I make small batches, 2.5 gallon and am working to figure out the process.

I am going to have hip surgery at the end of august with a minimal of 3 months recovery before I can walk while lifting anything heavy. I am trying to figure out how to not have my fermentors empty during the recovery so when I'm recovered, I have a couple of brews to bottle.

I thought about maybe a lager, which I think I will learn how to make.

The question is, can I make a regular beer, say an ESB, and rack it to a secondary fermentor after 2 weeks and have it sit in a temperature controlled space for 3 months and have it be ready when I am ready.

My normal process now is I ferment in the primary and let it sit there for 4 weeks, I cold crash for 2 days at about 40F, and then I bottle and let it condition 3 weeks. Given this scenario, I would have to bottle my last batch a few days before surgery and I would have to wait at least 3 months to start another batch. and then add 2 months before I have a beer to drink.

I've never aged in secondary that long,but after three months,it may need yeast to carbonate. Maybe get someone to do all the heavy lifting for you?

Sorry about the surgery. Why not try making a bigger beer that takes months to condition anyways? You could also try making some apfelwein. These are all things that are better the longer they sit. Some smaller beers don't need that long and may actually deteriorate over that amount of time.

An ESB in secondary for 3 months will probably be ok but it wont be ideal, or how you meant it to be. Like others have mentioned go for a high gravity beer that needs long term aging, Barleywine Russian Imperial Stout etc.

Sorry about the surgery. Why not try making a bigger beer that takes months to condition anyways? These are all things that are better the longer they sit.

Like I said, I am fairly new and have only made very simple beers. What constitutes a big beer? I've looked at RIS recipes, bought a couple to try.

I am just trying to figure out what my options are.

Like I said, I am fairly new and have only made very simple beers. What constitutes a big beer? I've looked at RIS recipes, bought a couple to try.

I am just trying to figure out what my options are.

A big beer is just one with higher fermentable sugars and therefore a higher alcohol content. In general, they are the same as a "normal" beer as far as process goes, but it just needs longer to condition. It requires patience and time which a lot of people don't have so they choose not to do bigger beers. For you, it sounds perfect. Don't worry about being new to brewing. As long as you have the normal process down, you'll do just fine.

This should have been the first question, but do you like any bigger beers? Any Imperial type ales? If so, do something you like. No point in doing a beer that you don't really like in the first place.

do you like any bigger beers? Any Imperial type ales? If so, do something you like. No point in doing a beer that you don't really like in the first place.

I guess I am, up to this point, a very conservative drinker. So, I went out and bought a bunch of micro's, german, belgium, ... non-typical beers to try to zero in on what I enjoy. I already know I will make a Dunkel, but I am not sure if it can lager for 3 months.

Thanks for all of your help, it has been an awakening of my palette.

Make a Belgian 8 / Trappist style beer. 3 months, it'll just be drinkable. You can lager any lager for 3 months, a Doppelbock would be my recommendation if you want a lager and have time to lager it.

You can put a simple ale in a fermenter and leave it there for the 3 months. It will ferment out and mature. Bottle as if you had left it for 3 weeks and it will carb up just fine.

You can put a simple ale in a fermenter and leave it there for the 3 months. It will ferment out and mature. Bottle as if you had left it for 3 weeks and it will carb up just fine.

Do I need to rack it to secondary?

Do I need to rack it to secondary?

No. I left a brown ale in the fermenter for weeks and it turned out very good. It didn't need weeks to carbonate like many beers do, it was ready to drink in a week. One brewer I chat with left one in the primary for 8 months with no problems.

Back