May have messed up last batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsnake

Reaction score
At the very last minute too.

I'm using a 6 gallon better bottle and was using one of these blow-out tubes:
bbtlblowoflg.jpg

I pushed it into neck and it popped out.. Again, I pushed it in neck and it stuck so I got the tube setup in the bucket of water and walked away. A minute later it popped out again. This time I gave it a good shove into the neck and when I let go I see maybe 2 or 3 tablespoons of water quickly suck up the blow-out tube and into the fermenter. Good news is it stayed in this time...

This was water with some bleach in it but I don't think that much. The real concern... This is a bucket of water that's being shared for blow-out with another batch and its been sitting here a week. I hope there is enough bleach in there to kill anything but not so much to stop my yeasties from growing. I've never had a problem from the blow-out water infecting a batch but then again, the other blow-out tube I have is a 1" tube that goes into a glass fermenter, which I have never sucked water back up. It's really the infection side that has me worried.

Live and learn. Now I'm sitting here waiting to see some yeast action, hopefully soon.

The only good thing about the batch is I hit 69.7% efficiency into the boiler and 70.9% into the fermenter. Not sure how that works out but that's what beersmith gives me and those are the best efficiencies I've hit yet with AG brewing. I also had a stuck sparge that I had to deal with for the first time. That was NOT fun...

If you sucked bleach into the wort, bad news, might as well let it finish off then taste it. You will know if it is bad, it will taste a bit like TCP throat gargle.

I have trouble getting my stopper to stay in my better bottle while they're still wet. I usually just set it on top, making sure that it's touching the neck all the way around and then push it in an hour or so later and then it stays. When it's wet with fresh starsan, it just keeps popping back out.

If you sucked bleach into the wort, bad news, might as well let it finish off then taste it. You will know if it is bad, it will taste a bit like TCP throat gargle.

It's 4 gallons of water with a splash of bleach in there. Maybe 2 tablespoons of bleach at most. It's actually less than that because I had a 15 gallon tub of bleach water with a few splashes of bleach in it, then I took some of that water and use it for the blow-out bucket. I'm not even sure I can detect a faint hint of bleach in the bucket anymore. It's not the bleach part I'm really worried about. I'm more worried about the possibility of infection.

I have trouble getting my stopper to stay in my better bottle while they're still wet. I usually just set it on top, making sure that it's touching the neck all the way around and then push it in an hour or so later and then it stays. When it's wet with fresh starsan, it just keeps popping back out.

Had to be what it was then. I had just pulled the tube and stopper out of a bucket of starsan. Lessons learned I guess. Won't make this mistake ever again.

A thin layer of foam has developed on the surface and I get a little bit of bubbling. Yeast seem to be fine. Hopefully lively enough to overpower any bacteria that might have gotten in there.

Just take a paper towel and dry off the stopper/carboy opening. It'll be fine and no more poppy your stoppy.

Latest posts

Back