Max reiterated mashes with biab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTrain24

Reaction score
How many times could I do reiterated mashes? All I can find is people doing it twice, which I have also done with good results. I had an OG of 1.110 and split it with top off water to make 2 5 gallon batches.

What if I did 4 repeated mashes? Is there a limit? I would have to add water each time to make up for losses.

My lofty goal is to try to make one very concentrated mash, then dilute with top off water to fill 4 corny kegs, and possibly use different yeasts, dry hop one, and sour one, to make 4 different brews off one large reiterated mash.

According to this calculator, I would need to bring the wort to 1.200 5 gallon OG to end up with 4x1.050 5 gallon batches, or a 1.100OG 10 gallon batch.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/dilution-and-boiloff-gravity-calculator/

Last edited:
All I can find is people doing it twice, which I have also done with good results.
Chris Colby has written about re-iterative mashes in BYO Magazine, at the Beer and Wine Journal web site, Methods of Modern Homeberwing). IIRC, he talks about triple mashes in either BYO or at the web site.

What if I did 4 repeated mashes? Is there a limit? I would have to add water each time to make up for losses.
I suspect the practical limit is two iterations, three is an endurance test, and four would put you in the running for an "iron-man" brewing award. :)

If the wort needs to be all grain (no DME/LME), I'm curious as to how others would approach this.

Back