Math Nerds Needed!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbrewster

Reaction score
Okay kids,

Maybe I'm not using the right language in searching Google, but I have a (seemingly) simple math problem I need your help with.

I mash in two pots on the stove. One is 16 quarts, one is 20 quarts. I've been doing it by "eyeballing it" with >85% efficiency, but would love to make sure I'm 100% accurate, going forward.

Example to solve: I have a 15 lb grain bill. I want to divide both the grains and my 5 gallons of mash water equally, or proportionately, in the two pots. What's the formula?

Thanks!

Simplifying to gallons, you have 9 gallons of pot capacity split 4/5.
Divide your 15 pounds by 9, then multiply the result by 4 for the smaller pot and 5 for the larger pot.
Use the same process for the water.

You should end up with 6.67 and 8.33 pounds, and 2.22 and 2.78 gallons, for the small and large pots respectively...

Cheers!

Simplifying to gallons, you have 9 gallons of pot capacity split 4/5.
Divide your 15 pounds by 9, then multiply the result by 4 for the smaller pot and 5 for the larger pot.
Use the same process for the water.

You should end up with 6.67 and 8.33 pounds, and 2.22 and 2.78 gallons, for the small and large pots respectively...

Cheers!

Excellent break down. All I found on Google, with my flawed search language, was a bunch of engineering sites. Thank you!

Back