Material below electric kettles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnash

Reaction score
What are people putting beneath their electric kettles?
Is wood good enough? I know stainless and other metals transfer heat so most would put silicone or some other high temp material(?) Between the kettle and table.

Just looking for ideas for my build when I get my brew-boss .

I use large silicon drying mats between kettles and my stainless table. It was a huge noticable difference especially in the winter how much heat was lost to the table without them. Sure the table never felt more than slightly warm but it's a huge chunk of stainless so all the heat it sucked from the kettle was quickly dissipated across the entire table.

What are people putting beneath their electric kettles?
Is wood good enough? I know stainless and other metals transfer heat so most would put silicone or some other high temp material(?) Between the kettle and table.

Just looking for ideas for my build when I get my brew-boss .
i have 2 ply of tile backer right now.

You don't need to worry about high temperatures. With an electric kettle, it is never going to get hotter than 212.

You don't need to worry about high temperatures. With an electric kettle, it is never going to get hotter than 212.

I don't literally mean an electric kettle .I mean a brew kettle which has an electrical element in it. Like many people are going to systems like eBIAB, eHERMS, etc .

I use large silicon drying mats between kettles and my stainless table. It was a huge noticable difference especially in the winter how much heat was lost to the table without them. Sure the table never felt more than slightly warm but it's a huge chunk of stainless so all the heat it sucked from the kettle was quickly dissipated across the entire table.
I do the same. Got 2 silicon mats at Amazon that work just fine.

Mine sits on a wooden bench. It has a 5500-watt element driven by 240v power.

No problem with it. You might want to use something other than wood if you're trying to make it look nice--nothing wrong with that--but 212 degrees isn't much of a stress on wood.

slayer3.jpg

cnash: 8456400 said:
I don't literally mean an electric kettle .I mean a brew kettle which has an electrical element in it. Like many people are going to systems like eBIAB, eHERMS, etc .

I know. You aren't heating with fire. The element will be submerged and the kettle will never get hotter than the temperature of boiling water.

Re purposed long pallet a machine was shipped on with screwed on 2x8 scraps for legs. Avatar pic,,

Used to use a couple of cajun cookers, but now electric.

Back