Masterbuilt Turkey Fryer ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopKeller

Reaction score
So, I'm in the process of slowly transitioning into All Grain Brewing and have been looking at Turkey Fryers. My local Home Depot sells a Masterbuilt 30qt. Propane style for about $60. My main concern is the quality of the the product, namely the pot (which is listed as stainless). Anyone have experience with this fryer?
I do own a Masterbuilt electric smoker and absolutely love it, but it has given me some problems...

I might be wrong but look closer I think the masterbuilt one is an electric turkey fryer. It might work but I haven't heard of anyone using those. The one homedepot by me has a propane one by Brinkmann and I have done 3 batches with it so far with no problems whatsoever.

If you do beers with alot of hops (IPA, IIPA), go with a 36 quart instead of a 30 quart. Typically, one goes for 5.5 gallons post boil to account for trub and other losses. So for a 90 minute boil, a lot of hops, etc., you may start with about 7.5 to even 8 gallons of liquid! And you need headspace for the boil!

Plan first, buy once.

Rich

the btu's on those units listed in the link above are not high enough for brewing outdoors. 38,000 btuh is a very small burner check the masterbuilt propane fryers btuh before buying. 55,000 for 5 gals., would be the smallest sized burner i would use

The one I linked to is 45,000. It is working for me. I think my 30qt is even less than that because 6 gallons pre-boil doesn't leave much room at the top. The kettle isn't going to be any good for bigger beers of over 5 gallons. I am making mostly sessions and I am using 5 gallon fermenters so yeah I am getting less than 5 gallons of product but so what I am making beer! If I had to save up for a 10 + gallon kettle I would still be doing extract and that's not it. But when I do get a nice kettle I can still use the burner AND the TF kettle. I can use it to catch my first runnings while I hear my sparge water. I think it's well enough thought out.

Thanks for the info guys. Hmmmm, I thought 30 qts = 7.5 gal. Need to check my math on that. Didn't know about the low BTU's. I will be brewing in a carport in GA. So maybe the 38,000 BTU will be sufficient?

Thanks for the info guys. Hmmmm, I thought 30 qts = 7.5 gal. Need to check my math on that. Didn't know about the low BTU's. I will be brewing in a carport in GA. So maybe the 38,000 BTU will be sufficient?

30qts is 7.5gal, but he was stating that for heavier beers, you may end up boiling 7.5+gal of wort. Needing the extra headspace, a 9-10gal kettle will give you plenty of room. I brew with a 7.5gal pot, and 6.5gal of wort from my mini-mash needs extra attention when boiling, it'll go QUICK. Until you have a bigger pot, you may need to use a bit of DME to get the gravity up to where you want it while keeping room in the kettle.

Also...

My 40k btu burner will bring 6.5gal to a boil in about 15-20min at 75%. If you have any problems, build yourself a windblock to position if it get's breezy. That is my main issue with just 40k BTU.

I was using a 38K BTU turkey fryer from king kooker. It was way underpowered. At 70F outside, it took over an hour to bring 7 gallons of wort to a boil that was already at 160F. Even then, I never got a good rolling boil.

I just tried a new Bayou Classic KAB4 burner yesterday. My wort was boiling before I even finished sparging. It cut about 1-1.5 hours off my brew day.

You could boil 7 gallons if you use some Fermcap, otherwise you are going to be boiling over all day long.

But you could do it and start with a heavier wort and simply dilute with a bit of water at the end. It's not enough of a difference to really affect the beer.

Or you could boil the full volume and just end up with a smaller batch size.

I did several batches on my 7.5 pot before getting a keggle.

Good News. While perusing Craigslist I found a 55K BTU Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer w/ a heavy duty pot for $30! It's in great shape and runs like new. On my way to all grain...

Latest posts

Back