Massively Insulating a Keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Winter is coming, and I am working on my keggle MLT. Currently, I use a 10 gallon Igloo water cooler, which loses less than a degree of heat in a hour.

I wonder how much insulation it would take to get a keggle to that r-value?

I've seen where someone used expanding foam to insulate the outside of a cornie, would that be feasible for a keggle? Would it really be needed, or would a couple of layers of that aluminum covered bubble wrap do the trick?

:confused:

I wish I knew how you guys got such a low r-value in your cooler MTs. I brewed for at least 12 years, probably with 5 or 6 different coolers, in standard garage temperatures of 100 degrees, and I have NEVER had only a 1degree drop in temperature :(

So are you not direct firing or recirculating? Just using a keggle MT like you would your cooler?

I wish I knew how you guys got such a low r-value in your cooler MTs. I brewed for at least 12 years, probably with 5 or 6 different coolers, in standard garage temperatures of 100 degrees, and I have NEVER had only a 1degree drop in temperature :(

So are you not direct firing or recirculating? Just using a keggle MT like you would your cooler?

Preheat the cooler, make sure your mash water is hot enough for the grain temperature, and control your headspace loss.

I use a float, made of foam board, to hold control the headspace loss. I didn't even have to inject foam in the cooler lid, the float works that well.

I used bobby_ms direct fire mash insulation guide, still needs some final touches but it's on the right

fb021789-e5bc-481e-92b2-4e7327669fc4_568x424r0.jpg

Right now Im still using a 10gl rubbermaid cooler, Although keg MLT is in the future. When I run into the heat loss problem Im planing on puting my 25 x 3/8 WC into the mash and run hot water though it via a pump.

Man i love's that. Can you give a detailed description of how you do that? What is Line-X?

I use reflectix now but I want mine to look like yours!

I think he describes how he did it in the thread he posted about his build. Not sure where the build is though. Anyone remember?

Nope, it is two layers. If I did it over again I would use something more rigid than tape to cover the Reflectix prior to coating it so you didn't see the bubbles. The design was a lot of fun though.

Nope, it is two layers. If I did it over again I would use something more rigid than tape to cover the Reflectix prior to coating it so you didn't see the bubbles. The design was a lot of fun though.

I was planning on using that aluminum backed "real" duct tape.

Still considering using expanding foam. Making the form would be a pain.

Cured foam is combustible and will burn if exposed
to temperatures above 240°F (116°C). Do not
apply GREAT STUFF™ foam around heaters, high
heat lamps or recessed lighting fi xtures, radiators,
furnaces or fi replaces where it could contact heatconducting
surfaces. Do not use GREAT STUFF™ foam
inside electrical boxes or panels (applications around the
boxes are permitted).

Expanding foam is a bad idea if you are direct firing the vessel.

Can the Line-x stuff hold up to a direct fired MT? If say, You didnt take it all the way to the bottom of the keggle...maybe down to just above the skirt? Just curious?

for a massively insulated tun, search "mega-tun"

WortMonger, Awsome idea. Gonna show my brew-brother tomorrow. :mug:

Can the Line-x stuff hold up to a direct fired MT? If say, You didnt take it all the way to the bottom of the keggle...maybe down to just above the skirt? Just curious?
I don't know if it can handle it or not, but I personally wouldn't recommend the application you are talking about. It would be iffy, and that is a lot of money to be iffy about.
for a massively insulated tun, search "mega-tun"

WortMonger, Awsome idea. Gonna show my brew-brother tomorrow. :mug:
Thank you brother. It was a ton of fun to make and has worked awesome for me.

Back