Massive head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanhollins

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've just started drink my beer that I made from a local brewery in Saskatchewan.

It had primary for a week and secondary for 2 weeks. Forget all the readings buts it now been over a month since I bottled an im getting massive head/ carbonation when I pour into a clean clean glass. Never had this issue before. It's the first time I've used Yyeast (or what ever it's called)
I pour slowly and like every other beer I've ever poured and I'm getting 2/3rds head.

Thoughts?

Hey guys. I've just started drink my beer that I made from a local brewery in Saskatchewan.

It had primary for a week and secondary for 2 weeks. Forget all the readings buts it now been over a month since I bottled an im getting massive head/ carbonation when I pour into a clean clean glass. Never had this issue before. It's the first time I've used Yyeast (or what ever it's called)
I pour slowly and like every other beer I've ever poured and I'm getting 2/3rds head.

Thoughts?

Over carbonated.

What does that mean exactly? Too much sugar? I added exactly what I was given.

Anyway to fix? Crack the bottle 30mins before I wanna drink?

They are all in Grolsch style bottles. What if I was to pop the top and then reseal letting some pressure out? And drink days/weeks later

Yes too much sugar... There could be a bunch of issues.

You may not have been fully finished fermenting, so when you add the proper amount of sugar, you're still over carbonated.

You might not have mixed your priming sugar well before bottling, so some may be more carbonated than others.

The beer may not have been cold that causes excessive head too

Ya you can release the pressure and reseal them if need be.

Hey Jordan,

Is the local brewery Paddockwood? Is the beer you brewed their California Common (Steam Beer)?

Which Wyeast did you use?

The other posters have diagnosed your problem, too much sugar leading to overcarbonation - I'm just a bit curious, is all.

Back