Mason jars for soda?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Rebel_Grizzly

Reaction score
Going to brew some passion fruit soda today with my buddy who doesn't drink beer. I've got everything I need to head to his house and make this stuff, except bottles. I have some flip tops and a few beer bottles, but we can't be going to work with beer bottles, regardless if it's soda or not. What we both have is plenty of Mason jars. Lots of them with new seals. Will Mason jars work to brew soda?

If a mason jar full of soda gets warm I'm not sure how much pressure it will handle.

They are designed to hold a vacuum not pressure.

I'd try to gather up some plastics soda bottles.

^^^ What he said. I have no experience, but I would say no. Mason/canning jars are meant to keep a vacuum (negative pressure,) not positive pressure exerted by carbonated beverages. I think you'd lose your CO2 to the seal. Also, I'm not sure the glass jar is designed for the outward pressures that soda or beer might exert, creating possible bottle bombs. Have you thought about 16 or 20 oz PET plastic soda bottles?

Mason jars will not hold pressure- the tops will pop off (hopefully, otherwise the jars would exploded).

Plastic soda bottles are the way to go for, er, soda.

Plastic soda bottles or some clear glass soda bottles. Mason jars might work short term, but there is a good chance you won't get an carbonation in them

We found some soda bottles to use. Found 1 place 45 mins away that said they had them, we get there and they only had 20.... Used my pop tops for the rest.

I am assuming you are making carbonated soda (why else make soda, right?)?

I ask only because I used mason/canning jars to "bottle" some hard lemonade and some wine. I really don't care about my homebrew alcohol having carb in it, so I was able to pasteurize it in the canning jars and let them cool with tops only lightly tightened. Once cooled all the way, I tighten down on the lids and put them away. Those lids give a great seal, even without the wax melting to seal them.

If you were making soda without carb, you could do the same thing...pasteurize them to kill the yeast and you'd be good to go.

I am assuming you are making carbonated soda (why else make soda, right?)?

I ask only because I used mason/canning jars to "bottle" some hard lemonade and some wine. I really don't care about my homebrew alcohol having carb in it, so I was able to pasteurize it in the canning jars and let them cool with tops only lightly tightened. Once cooled all the way, I tighten down on the lids and put them away. Those lids give a great seal, even without the wax melting to seal them.

If you were making soda without carb, you could do the same thing...pasteurize them to kill the yeast and you'd be good to go.
If I'm making a lemonade with sprite and moonshine, will it store in mason jars? Don't care about the carbonation

Back