Mashing with oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockrdbrew

Reaction score
I tried to find this in the forum but had no luck. I'm set to do an all grain breakfast stout with oats and two types of coffee.

First: Do I put the oats straight into the mash or do I have to crush them with the grains? If I don’t crush them do I need to cook the oats first before using them?

Second: When I add the ground coffee does it matter how fine the ground is.

Thanks.

You want to add FLAKED oats (oatmeal) straight into the mash, without cooking or crashing.
You can add coffee into the boil or into the secondary. The latter seems to be more popular with home brewers lately, as you get cleaner coffee taste in your beer.

I would use a medium ground coffee, but some have reported good results using espresso. However the best way to add them is not adding the grounds directly to the beer, you make a pot of coffee. But instead of brewing it like a regular batch (with ~200 F water) you want to do a cold extraction, to cut down on the acidity, also bitterness I believe (it will also have lower caffeine and have less body, the latter will not affect it too much but if you wanted added caffeine you could add some pure caffeine, though I'd be careful doing that). Basically this is the best way to get a nice smooth coffee flavor which will play well with the roast-y malts rather than overpowering them.

To cold brew coffee, I use a medium roast but you can use a darker roast (I like the flavor of the coffee and not the roast) and pour room temperature water over the grounds, into a large french press. If you don't have a french press you can use a large pitcher, it will just be more difficult to separate the grounds. After you add the water, stir to get good water contact with the grounds, then let sit for 24 hours. If you are using a french press, slowly push down the plunger and then pour through a coffee filter to get the sludge out. If you aren't using a french press, pour through a fine mesh sieve and then pour through a coffee filter.

I'd recommend adding the coffee after primary has finished (or to secondary if thats your thing). You can either dump the coffee in straight up and hope for the best, or you can try to be scientific about it. Go get a pipette or a graduated syringe from the drug store, retrieve a couple 1 oz samples of your beer and add different amounts of your cold brewed coffee to the different beers (be sure to taste the unadulterated beer as a control) and once you've found a flavor you like, just scale up the amount of coffee you liked to the amount of beer you have (if still in primary, account for trub loss).

Enjoy!

Ok thanks everyone....how about the coffee. Fine ground or course...does it matter.?

You can brew the coffee separately or add the grinds to the wort.

You don't really want to boil the coffee grounds as it will produce harsh flavors. Grinding coarse then adding to the secondary, or making a pot using your coffee maker using filtered water, cool, then add it into the bottling bucket or keg to taste works well also.

Cold steeping in the secondary with a coarse grind, seems to be the most common practice. I like to brew it separately then add it at the bottling/kegging to taste myself.

Back