Mashing-Water or Grain First?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
In advance, I apologize if this has been done before.

When mashing, do you add the grain to the hot liquor, or the hot liquor to the grain?
I have always added the hot liquor to the mash tun first, and then mixed in the grain (I don't remember where I read that was the proper procedure), but I just read through Palmer's "How To Brew", and he says to add the grain first, and then the hot liquor.

So, what order does everyone add things?

I add the grain then the hot water when mashing in. Stir like crazy and generally don't have a problem with doughballs.

I add all the water then grain, stir, grain, stir, grain, etc. Never had a problem with doughballs.

Whatever works for you and your system.

Similar to Paulasaurus, I add about 1/2 the water and then 1/2 the grain and stir. Then add the rest. If its a really large grain bill I might do it in thirds. I haven't had a problem yet.

I personally like adding the water first, grain second. That way the initial water addition pre-heats the mash tun and I can add the grain exactly when the water hits the right strike temp. I feel I have less variables when I do this. I've never had an issue with dough balls even with some of the clumpier grain types.

The only time I've had a problem was with grain bills that contain wheat or rye malts, but after discovering rice hulls, I've had no problems. I just find it interesting that you can find sources on either side saying "This is the best/only way to mash in."

I cover the false bottom with about 2 in. water then add the grain. It will float there while I pump the rest onto the grain kinda slow so it soaks and doesnt cause grain balls.

Latest posts

Back