mashing in a 1/2 keg w/king cooker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slvrblt4

Reaction score
I've brewed a few batches in a cutout 1/2 keg with mesh screen spigot and sparge with the helicopter and the weiss brews I've made and wheat beers have always come out very good.

This last batch I made 2 weeks ago was the first batch I made in years and I felt VERY out of practice. Usualy I can lid this concoction of mine with a 7 gallon plastic lid and the mash temp usually remains quite stable. However, brewing in my garage at about 50 degrees, I had to keep a small diffused flame under it to maintain the mash temp without steep drops.

Problem is, some of the masjh was 170+ at times, and other parts 150-158. My hydrometer was broken (didn't realize until I started brewing) so I have no idea what the starting gravity was pre-pitch.

Any guesses as to what the effect will be if some temps were high and other temps were slightly lower than the target temp for the mash?

(PS, I really like the idea of getting the right mash temp and then just letting the mash sit in an insulated water cooler, knowing that it's insulated pretty good and shouldn't lose that much temp as it rests....)

The parts of the mash at high temps will have produced less fermentable wort, while the mash at low temps will have produced more fermentable wort. You'll just have to wait to see how things turn out, but my guess is it'll be fine.

I've only had a few times where I saw significant temperature loss, and it was when I was using a low water/grain ration. If you've got any flame on under your MLT, you have to make sure you constantly stir to prevent the uneven temperatures you're referring to. I've recently switched to using a pump to recirculate the mash, eliminating the need for stirring, making my brew day a little more enjoyable.

sparky,

is it better to have a thinker or thinner mash? Mine was a little to the thick side. years ago someone told me it should be like oatmeal...where you'd just basically have the grains covered with the water without much extra. I was told that the mash thinkness has a lot to do with the success of the enzyme conversion. If too thin, you'd have to mash longer, and thicker you DO risk heat variances.

A thick mash is hard to keep stable because you have to keep taking the lid on & off and the top will usually be a lot cooler. A thinner mash is easier to maintain, but I always fear not mashing long enough. A step mash would be even harder to do if the mash was too thick.

what have YOU heard is better for a step mash? I would guess slightly thinner, right?

thanks for the reply

Right, thinner mashes have more thermal mass and maintain temps better. I try to shoot for 1.3 qts/lb. Getting down close to 1 qt/lb is where I saw those temp drops. The thinner mash also helps a lot with avoiding stuck sparges while recirculating with the pump. I haven't had any problems with conversion at that ratio. Usually, the iodine test is negative at 30 mins, but I go a little longer. Shhh - lately I haven't even been checking.

Back