mashing AND steeping grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TenaciousJ

Reaction score
I'm making a big beer tomorrow. The problem is my mash tun will only hold 12 lbs of grain. Can I mash 12 lbs of base malt, batch sparge, then steep the specialty grains prior to boil since they won't fit in the mash tun?

Does anyone had any experience doing something like this?

You should be fine steeping, but the extra water from the steep you need to account for or your OG might be a tad off. Also, you might be able to divide the total grains in half and do 2 seperate mashes? Will take an extra hour or so but should work out.

Cheers

You could do that, yes. If you mashed initially with your base grains, if you kept the wort that you extracted at ~145-160F (saccharification range), it should still contain enzymes for the remaining grains that didn't fit in the mash tun.

You could do it either way.

thanks for input everyone. I decided to jam over 13lbs into the mash tun at about 1qt/ per pound. neeedless to say, it was maxed out:

IMG_1724.jpg

Back