Mashing and hot side aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
I just put my first AG batch in bottles and I think it turned out okay. Its a little thinner than its PM version. But the PM version was quite chewable.

Anyway, one of the mistakes I made in the mashing was some hot side aeration. I drained my wort from the MLT into a 5-gallon bucket and then poured it from the bucket into the brewpot. I also did it with the next 2 gallons to make my 7 gallon boil.

I did it because I had always thought that hot side aeration post-boil was more of a risk for off-flavors than doing it pre-boil. Am I right or wrong?

Either way, I think I managed to escape wet cardboard off flavors on this batch.

Right enough.

Oxidation is going to take time (less time the hotter everything is.) And shortly after you did you aeration you deareated (not really sure if that's a word) by boiling.

Worst case scenario, you've got a beer that will age poorly, so you have justification for drinking it quickly.

Supposedly HSA pre boil is not something that a homebrewer really needs to worry about. I say you're fine.

Right enough.

Oxidation is going to take time (less time the hotter everything is.) And shortly after you did you aeration you deareated (not really sure if that's a word) by boiling.

Worst case scenario, you've got a beer that will age poorly, so you have justification for drinking it quickly.

That's kind of what I thought. One thing I read said that O2 could bond to something and then get released in the bottle and cause off flavors. But I see that as low risk.

I don't think this beer is going to sit on the shelf long. It's the best beer I make and everyone has been waiting a year for me to make this batch.

I've done your exact procedure on countless brews and never had cardboard off flavors. I don't know how extreme you'd have to go with HSA to get those flavors, but I'm currently following the cult that HSA is indeed a non-issue to homebrewers.

I would be lots more worried about proper bottling techniques to prevent oxidation. HSA is really nothing to worry about. That said, I try to be as careful as I reasonably can. Why not?

+1 you just listed the procedure I follow for every batch I have ever done. Never had a cardboard off flavor.

Whether we believe in HSA or not, why not drain into your brewpot? The less lifting and carrying of scalding hot sugar solution the better, imo.

Because if I didn't lift 50lb carboys of beer and wort, I'd never get exercise.

Seriously though, the thought never even occured to me when I did it that it was hot side aeration. I always thought that the risk of off flavors from aeration was worst after some fermentation had taken place. Then I thought that there might be risk of HSA between the boil and pitching.

But during boil, any dissolved O2 is boiled off. So I thought, does it matter how much I splash it before boiling?

That is until it did it. Then I had the feeling of ice water running down my back as I thought, "Did I just f-up?" then I thought, "It's too late now. Be paranoid later."

Back