Mashed Potatoes: The possibilities are endless

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbrews

Reaction score
Mashed Potatoes are a very filling and common choice as a side dish, yet very safe and predictable. It is difficult to mess them up... Potatoes, cooked in water, drained, and then mashed with butter, salt, and cream. But honestly, how boring does that sound? This thread is dedicated toward giving Mashed Potatoes a bit more respect.

I find that the Onion is the perfect partner in crime for the Potato. It helps to give it some personality and edge. Here is a recipe that utilizes onions and mashed potatoes in perfect harmony.

Smoked Onion Mashed Potatoes

• Handful of Applewood, Cherrywood, or any other delicate smoking wood chips
  • Vidalia Onions, peeled and sliced thin
  • Vegetable Oil
  • Kosher Salt
  • Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
  • Unsalted Butter
  • Yukon Gold and Idaho-Russet Potatoes, 80/20 ratio, washed and peeled
  • Cold water

1. Add the peeled potatoes to a kettle with enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and keep at a slight simmer for 1 hour, give or take.

2. If you have a smoker great, if not, assemble a make-shift smoker by lining a deep stainless steel pan with a double layer of foil, which will help to protect the pan. Make 4 foil balls and place them in each corner of the pan. In the center, place a small handful of dry wood chips. Add a metal grate atop the foil so you have about 2-inches clearance from the bottom of the pan.

3. Place the sliced Vidalia onions on the grate, in a donut shape, leaving open access to ignite the wood chips. Using a fireplace lighter, light the chips and allow them to burn for about a minute. Blow out the flame and immediately cover the pan with another inverted pan or foil so that the smoke cannot escape. Let the smoke infuse flavor into the onion for about 10 minutes.

4. Remove the onion and get a large saute pan hot. When the pan is hot, add a bit of oil, and 20 seconds later, add the onion along with a bit of salt and pepper. The pan should make sizzling sounds. "Sweat" the onions by continually stirring them over medium to medium-high heat until softened and translucent, but without any golden brown color. This will take roughly 5-6 minutes.

5. Next, ramp up the heat to high and add enough heavy cream to cover the onions by 1/2 way. Continually stir until the cream is completely evaporated and the onions are very soft, but with no color.

6. When the pan is dry, turn off the heat and add the onions to the blender. Puree until completely smooth and collect the smoked onion puree.

7. When the potatoes are finished, drain fully, and then place them back in the pot. Mash with enough butter, salt, pepper, and smoked onion puree until the desired flavor and texture is reached.

The smokiness should be present, but not overbearing. This pairs perfectly with grilled Ribeye Steak, garlic Green Beans, and a smoky Porter.

Post your recipes for elevated mashed potatoes.

I've even roasted a couple bulbs of garlic at about 300F or so for an hour to caramelize them. Then squeeze the goodies into the hot, drain potatoes with a regular size container of French onion chip dip. And if you can find it, one of those skinny containers of powdered cheddar cheese. Then set mixer on a low setting to gett'em creamy. A lil salt & pepper & they're great with pork chops or smoky bbq.

I've been doing faux mashed potatoes using cauliflower instead as well. I've never been a big starch fan, more of a "meat and veggies" guy than "meat and potatoes".

Potatoes make a great "flavor delivery device", and so does cauliflower. With some steam and a food processor, you can go for a more chunky consistency or smooth, demanding how long you cook them and how heavily you pulverize them...

Yup, you can do the same with parsnips, which look like white carrots. They taste completely different, too.

Mashed potato boats are a great way to use leftover mashed potatoes (and eggs and cheddar) in the morning. Here: mashed potato egg boats. Who doesn't have a pile of leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge?

3187847511_507cf71914.jpg

^Add some crispy, fresh-cooked bacon bits on top of that, and you have me sold.

Pierogi-Style Mashed Potatoes

• 2 large Vidalia Onions, peeled and sliced thin
  • Vegetable Oil
  • Kosher Salt
  • Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
  • 1/2 to 1 stick Unsalted Butter
  • 5 lbs. Yukon Gold and Idaho-Russet Potatoes, 80/20 ratio, washed and peeled
  • Cold water
  • 1/2 bag Cheddar Cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 to 3/4 pint of Sour Cream
  • 1/2 bunch Chives, fresh, minced

1. Add the peeled potatoes to a kettle with enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and keep at a slight simmer for 1 hour, give or take.

2. Slice the onion and get a large saute pan hot. When the pan is hot, add a bit of oil, and 20 seconds later, add the onion along with a bit of salt and pepper. The pan should make sizzling sounds. "Sweat" the onions by continually stirring them over medium to medium-high heat until softened and translucent, but without any golden brown color. This will take roughly 5-6 minutes.

3. Next, ramp up the heat to high and add enough heavy cream to cover the onions by 1/2 way. Continually stir until the cream is completely evaporated and the onions are very soft, but with no color. They should be off-white and translucent.

4. When the pan is dry, turn off the heat and add the onions to the blender. Puree until completely smooth and collect the onion puree. Reserve about 3/4 to 1 pint for the mashed potatoes.

5. When the potatoes are finished, drain fully, and then place them back in the pot. Mash with unsalted butter, kosher salt (more than you think will be necessary so add a little at a time), fresh cracked black pepper, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and onion puree until the desired flavor and texture is reached. The mixture will be wet enough so you do not need to add any milk.

6. Garnish with chopped chives.

This pairs perfectly with Roast Chicken w/crispy skin, Grilled Asparagus with a squeeze of lemon, and an American Pale Ale or Session IPA.

^You could even use these mashed potatoes as a filling for actual pierogies. The flavor is unreal! If you do that, make sure your filling is nice and thick so that it holds up when you boil and fry the pierogies.

Since mom was Slovak, we used to have leftover mashed potatoes that were in the fridge till the next morning made into patties & fried with breakfast. Common street food in Bratislava. I forget the Slovak name though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always tell my Wife I've never met a potato I didn't like so I'll be watching this thread. Like what I see so far. I'll be trying the mashed potato boats for sure this weekend.

Latest posts

Back