Mashed at 165 instead of 156

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer is good

Reaction score
I am an idiot.

I was not thinking.

I read 156, and mashed at 165. I am 30 minutes into the mash, and I just realized that 165 seemed a little high.

What will my result be? Should I abandon the brew and buy more grain tomorrow?

Keep brewing! You'll still make beer. The FG will be much higher than anticipated and it will be sweeter since the high mashing temperature will produce unfermentable sugars. You might even like it.

Keep brewing! You'll still make beer. The FG will be much higher than anticipated and it will be sweeter since the high mashing temperature will produce unfermentable sugars. You might even like it.

Ok I will continue..

Since more sugars will be unfermentable, does that mean it will have lower alcohol content in the end? OH NO!!!!

Since more sugars will be unfermentable, does that mean it will have lower alcohol content in the end? OH NO!!!!

It is exactly what it means. Instead of fermenting down from 1.080 to perhaps 1.020, it may stop at 1.030.
Sweeter /maltier beer.
What kind of beer? May not be terrible depending on the type.
You could also brew another batch o same or similar and then blend them together if it is too sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It is exactly what it means. Instead of fermenting down from 1.080 to perhaps 1.020, it may stop at 1.030.
Sweeter /maltier beer.
What kind of beer? May not be terrible depending on the type.
You could also brew another batch o same or similar and then blend them together if it is too sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It is just an ale. I started with a dale's pale ale clone but I used different hops. It should be ok, I put a lot of hops in maybe it will balance out the sweetness :mug:

Some of my best "aha! Eureka!" moments in brewing have come from little errors like this. As mentioned above, you might like the result!

I read 156, and mashed at 165.

Tell people you bought a dyslexic thermometer and it wasn't your fault. ;)

Seriously, give the beer a chance. Besides, I don't think you risk getting tannins until you get over 170 or so. Revvy has a great thread about never giving up on a beer. Hang with it, it might still be good.

I do have some good news from my experience - my mash tun only lost 2 degrees in 90 minutes. I put a folded towel on the lid and wrapped the entire thing in a thick blanket and tied a rope around it. So I am pretty happy about that.

Being a fairly new brewer myself, I'd be thrilled if that was the worst mistake I ever made...

Being a fairly new brewer myself, I'd be thrilled if that was the worst mistake I ever made...

The worst mistake I ever made is probably... yes, I think it must be when I pitched the yeast into a 5 gallon carboy, and was shaking it back and forth in my tiled kitchen and I dropped it. That was a potentially deadly situation. Thankfully I did not slip and land on the huge pieces of glass and die... cleanup was not fun either. I still get shivers thinking of how much worse that could have been.

Edit: worst BREWING mistake

Ok, I bottled this tonight.

final gravity was 1.032

So from 1.080 to 1.032 it tasted pretty darn sweet and not very great, but maybe in a month or two it will mellow out a bit. I will update.

Back