mash with steep of specialty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FearKnowBeer

Reaction score
Hey guys, i am about 8 brews in and i am back for some questions..

I am going to be making a dunkelweizen, but i have been hearing on a few podcasts about steeping the specialty malt after mashing the base malts. Supposed to help with the bitter/off flavors. Has anyone tried this?

4.5 lbs Wheat malt dark
3.0 lbs Pilsner
1.0 lbs Munich
.75 lbs Special B Malt
.50 lbs Caramunich

I would mash with the wheat, rice hulls (not listed) Pilsner, and Munich, and then steep with the specialty.

I just made a Dunkel with almost your exact grain bill; the only exception being I used .5 lbs of Honey malt instead of Caramunich. I mashed everything (including specialties) at Full Body temps and fermented with WLP380 Hefeweizen IV, and it is an almost exact replica of the Julius Echter Dunkel my friends and I drank while stationed outside of Wurzburg, GE. No hints of bitter or off flavors.

I'd do everything together and avoid the extra steeping step.

I just premiered mine at a beer club meeting on Friday and it was enjoyed all around, even with being a bit green at 3 weeks in bottle.

What I have seen mentioned and believe true is the dark grains like roasted barley or chocolate malts benefit from this. Your Special B would be on the edge of benefiting I think.

Back