Mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eccipoo

Reaction score
Gents, over the next few months I've set myself a few projects.....I'll be converting a cooler into a mash tun, and I'll also be converting two kegs into a hlt & also a keggle.

Some advice please....I noticed in a few videos that copper with drilled holes have been used at the bottom of a mash tun cooler, however I was wondering would some SS-braided hose be a better job. Has anyone any feedback on this?

On the conversion of the two kegs, I was wondering, apart from the false bottom in one, is everything else the exact same? Elements, sight glass etc?

Cheers

For the 10 gal setup I use it has a false bottom in the cooler mash tun. I think a hose would get clogged up too easily and it would be more difficult to set the grain-bed IMO.

As for the kettles... the brew kettle has a site glass, a bazooka tube (ss braided hose) as well as a thermometer. Although a false bottom in the brew kettle would probably work better than the bazooka tube. The one I use gets clogged when I brew IPA's due to all the hop matter.

The HLT has a site glass and thermometer.

Good luck on the projects!

Ok thanks for the advice! If anyone has any handy tips on how to find or obtain two empty kegs hit me with your knowledge! Been askin around and puttin out feelers but not gettin anything back!

Ok thanks for the advice! If anyone has any handy tips on how to find or obtain two empty kegs hit me with your knowledge! Been askin around and puttin out feelers but not gettin anything back!

Where are you located? My brother has this Keggle for sale on Craig's List.

Hit up CL daily - it took us about 2 months to come across 5 that weren't too expensive.

I'm from belfast in Ireland. I'm surprised at how hard it is to get them!

The type of filter you want to use depends on how you plan to sparge.

If you are going to batch sparge, a stainless braid/bazooka screen is a cheap and easy way to go.

If you are going to fly sparge, you want a filter design that drains all areas of the tun uniformly. You don't just want a single line down the middle. False bottoms are ideal. Manifolds covering large portions of the tun bottom work well. If you want to use as stainless braid, you'll want to configure it in a loop so that the area inside the loop equals the area outside.

Hey guys, managed to acquire two kegs, but I'm a bit stuck as to how to dismantle the spear!! Not the same kegs I've seen for keggle conversions before :-/

Anyone any ideas?

image-1767485905.jpg

image-2667377333.jpg

Back