Mash Tun ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewboy

Reaction score
I got a pretty neat cooler for the mash tun! It is a 60qt cooler on wheels, and it actually has a small shelf sort of in the bottom and the drain plug is above this shelf so the grains should stay below the drain plug and give me a nice run off with very little grains even though I am going to use the stainless braided hose as my filter like on cruises' site. Found this cooler at Wal-mart for $29. My question is though, where can I find the 7/8 rubber stopper like he mentions?

you'll have to get it from a HBS or a laboratory supply place. the HBS will be WAY cheaper though......

Cool....thanks DeRoux! That is kinda what I thought, but wasn't 100% sure where I needed to get it from.

I've bought black rubber stoppers from hardware stores before. I wonder if back rubber is a no-no? Might flavor the beer if submerged?

It's hard to find them at hardware stores with holes already in them. I have drilled holes in a few of them, but it is pain and makes a mess....

i think i used a #2 drilled stopper for my rubbermaid cooler? it was a tight fit, but it never came lose during brewing. yet, easy to dismantle for cleaning/sanitizing.

Thanks everyone!! That is a good idea to take the cooler with me to the HBS......boy would that be fun to get all the way home and have the wrong one......gesshhhh

I've just used a 3" brass nipple with a couple of nuts, a tap connector on one end to connect to the copper manifold and a ball valve on the other.
weldless.JPG

connector.JPG

manifold.JPG

Show off!! :) I will be using a 48 quart Coleman cooler for my all-grain when I do my first this week (Rogue I2PA). I am using the braided hose as well, are there any hidden complications I should worry about? I've read that some people have a problem with the hose rising up into the mash, should I try and construct something to hold it in place or is that a big deal? It seems that the ideal water to grain ratio is 1-1.5 quarts to the pound, does that vary with the type of grain or brew? Don't mean to ask so many questions, but I'd hate to botch my first AG batch.

Thanks

Johnwongfat,

there are alot of things to sort out for your first batch. I wouldn't be going AG if it wasn't for the guys on here.

I just remembered another thing I have to sort before lift off! :(

I had this idea, wonder if you took a pair of panty hose and slipped them over the ss braid, would that help with filtering and also not clog things up? Just a thought I had.....of course I would boil the panty hose for several minutes before putting them into the wort.....

you shouldn't have to do anything to the SS braid line. mine never stuck. as long as it's fastened to the copper tube right, you'll be good to go. even with wheat and rye's. my first all-grain with that set-up was a hefe, and i had no problems.

Well very cool then!! I won't worry about it......I will just brew away and let it happen.......... :drunk:

Back