Mash tun too cool.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevet

Reaction score
Alright folks,
Just doing my first AG. Put the water in for the first batch sparge and it's 142 instead of 152. Lost more than I thought it would.
Question is what do I do.
It's been in for 10 min now.
Thanks in advance

You typically have a 5 minute window, so...probably nothing now.

But in the future, have a couple of quarts of water boiling inside and use that to raise temps.

In the future Add a couple gallons of hot tap water to your mash tun (I assume you're using a cooler?) and seal it up while you are heating your strike water, preheating your mashtun will prevent this loss in the future.

Now bring some water up to a boil as fast as you can (a couple gallons) and while stirring add a half to a full quart or so at a time til you hit your temp again. Then start your hour mash counter

What is your starting water volume, how many pounds grain, SWAG on your empty mash tun weight?

or

If you have a gallon of boiling water add a quart at a time, stir and check, keep adding until you get the desired temperature.

So I got it up to temp, but it took a total of 40 min should I continue with another hour or should I cut my $12 loss and start again tomorrow with a pre heated mash tun.

I had a whole batch mash at 140 (bad thermometer), but the beer still turned out great. I am going to brew it again at correct temps to see what the difference is.

Just complete your mash - it will be fine.

Thanks all for the advice. I think we did it. I really appreciate it.
After all the concern, I ended up right on my target OG. (1.052)
I am new, but I am thinking we should be good to go?
time will tell
Cheers

Latest posts

Back