mash tun too big?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris1979

Reaction score
i recently aquired a large cooler from a friend at work. i wanting every one heres opinion on how well the thought it work before i sink any money in it. and if you think it would work well what would be better a manifold or a braid. and whether batch sparging or fly sparging would be the better option. ive only made 2 batches of extract and i am addicted. Iowa Rotocast Products ROTH-1200 (Iowa Rotocast Products IRP-200 MERCHANDISER II), Bar Equipment - Beer Merchandisers, Keg Coolers, Beverage Merchandisers, Branded Merchandisers, Portable Merchandisers

It may be a little large for 5 gallon batches due to grain bed depth... maybe not if it is a heavier 5 gallon batch. But this would definately be sweet for 10 gallon brews!
A braid would probably be cool coiled up in the bottom, manifold would work just as well. Batch or fly... either really. Does it have a lid, or are you making one?

it has a crappy lid clear plastic lid but i figure an insulated would be a lot better. thats great i am stoked give me an excuse to do larger batches. that'll make swmbo happy another better bottle. could a 10 gallon batch be boiled seperatly, if so then i could kind of make two different beers at least different hop additions and yeast. the only real problem i see is that it will have to raised up to reach my boil pot but im sure i can figure something out.

btw thanks for the quick response this is a great forum

Yeah, you will def want to insulate the lid in some manner, but that is a pretty sweet cooler! On wheels no less! You could do 10-15 gallon batches in that thing

I wouldn't worry about "sinking more money into it"....the big expense with building a cooler mash-tun is the cooler. Any money you spend now would be on parts (braid, valve, washers, etc) that can easily be switched over to another cooler should this one not work out.

I would make a lid out of styrofoam insulation for it (the house insulation) and with a braid/valve you'll be good to go!)

Back