Mash tun question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbulger

Reaction score
I just took my mash tun for a dry (wet) run to see how much water would be left over after draining. I bought a 48qt rubermaid rectangular cooler, did the cheapo spigot by just pushing some vinly tubing through the setup already in place and attached a stainless braid to the tubing.

The spigot is a little less than an inch off the bottom of the cooler, and when i drained there was a signifigant amount of water left in the bottom. I got the rest out by holding the tubing down at the bottom to keep the siphon where its connected to the braid and tipping the cooler a bit. My question is:

IS there anyway to get that to stay at the bottom to keep the siphon going?
(i was thinking the grains might hold it down but not sure)

And
Will elevating the other side of the mash tun, on abook or something, effect the mash in any way?

Is your cooler red? I think that I bought the same one this weekend. I was thinking the same thing. I don't see a problem elevating one end of it, as long as you do it right from the begining of the mash. There is a big dead space but by elevating it i think i got it down to less than a quart.

Cheers

yahs its a red victory from walmart $17. HOw high did you raise it (i think i can figure that into my water volume calculations.

Since you have used it how well did it hold temp?

It might be worth the trouble to throw together a simple manifold. You can angle the copper tubing so the business end of the manifold is sitting on the floor of the cooler.

The grains would hold down your SS braid, but you would have to make sure your cooler was tipped (as you demonstrated) to make sure the liquid can flow towards the spigot.

Some simple tubing, elbows and t-joints is all you need. No need to solder (sp) the joints since you want it to leak.

Manifold_Unfiltered.JPG

I haven't used it yet I did the same thing as you this weekend, i am getting everything ready for next weekend. When I can start my "My First AG Batch" thread :rockin: . I stuck a 2x4 under it to lift it up.

Cheers

:off: biermuncher, is that a 10gal cooler? if so how well does that work for multiple infusion mashes? I was thinking about going with one of those, but avaliability and the advice of a friend talked me out of it. Thanks

Thanks for the replies, i think ill eventually get to the copper manifold when time and tools come around.

Hey WoP ill be doing it tomrow ill let you know how it goes

Sweet, I was wondering about the temp thing too, so if you could post it up here. Thanks, and good luck

Back