Mash Tun Manifold to Ball Valve help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garcara

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just ordered a new rectangular cooler to convert to a larger mash tun (using a 10 gallon home depot cooler now which works great).

No issues for the manifold, but how do I seal the manifold to the cooler and connect the ball valve? I haven't been able to find a project with a clear parts list that will get this done, but maybe I overlooked it.

Thanks.

You should be able to remove the cooler spigot like you did with the HD cooler you are presently using and then fit in the new ball valve the same. IMO I do not seal my manifold to the end of the ball valve as I like to be able to remove it after each mash for cleaning. I made a copper manifold that I drilled holes into that face down and then there is one pipe that slips right over the inside end of the ball valve. When done mashing and dumping the grains I can take the manifold out, take some of the un-welded tubes off and thoroughly clean the whole thing. I sized the manifold so it fits snug and doesn't move around but can be lifted out.

Any old cooler bulkhead kit will do.

I prefer to reuse the silicone washers that seal the cooler's spigot than the ones in the kits though.

You can remove the plastic spigot it comes with, insert a threaded nipple.
Now, you can thread your ball valve on the outside, and apply a silicone gasket to the inside and push it flush to the wall
Next, you grab a female threaded adapter. You can screw this on to the nipple which will crush the gasket and create a seal. Then just attach the copper tubing from the manifold

You can remove the plastic spigot it comes with, insert a threaded nipple.
Now, you can thread your ball valve on the outside, and apply a silicone gasket to the inside and push it flush to the wall
Next, you grab a female threaded adapter. You can screw this on to the nipple which will crush the gasket and create a seal. Then just attach the copper tubing from the manifold

What is the female threaded adapter? How does the copper go to it?

Thanks again guys.

female adapter is just basically a piece of copper with a female threaded end which screws onto the nipple. Then other side works much like a copper elbow/tee, the copper tube can simply be pushed in tightly to create a seal

female adapter is just basically a piece of copper with a female threaded end which screws onto the nipple. Then other side works much like a copper elbow/tee, the copper tube can simply be pushed in tightly to create a seal

Thanks.

Back