Mash tun from cooler without drain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drLuks

Reaction score
Hello,
would it be possible to build a mash tun from a cooler without drain pipe by connecting a hose to the tubes at the bottom of the cooler and siphoning wort out?

Yes it is possible, I have seen pics of it done. It may be a bit of a hassle, but it should work if you provide a good drop for the siphon. Or you could just simply drill a hole in the cooler.

Palmer actually talks about it here...http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixD.html

Could also be done w/ a piece of braid and a section of racking cane w/ a 90degree bend and some tubing. Hell, since it is preboil, you could even simply give a suck on the tubing to start your siphon.

The materials a cooler is made out of is so light weight you could drill through it in just a few seconds.

The biggest problem would be finding a rubber gasket for the inside. I'm sure this has been done before too.

I guess I will try siphoning first... Don't wanna mess with finding and fitting the pipe to the tun yet :)

Back