mash tun false bottom - will the AIH false bottom work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullGator

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got this false bottom from Adventures in Homebrewing:

http://www.homebrewing.org/10-Stainless-Steel-Flat-False-Bottom-for-keg-kettles_p_1009.html

I was planning on using it with a dip tube in my keg mash tun. However the site says its not supposed to be used in a mash tun. Is that because of the weight or because it may move? Is anyone using this false bottom in a mash tun?

I am planning on starting with batch sparging and then maybe try fly sparging once I get used to my equipment. I have done partial mashing but no all grain yet.

The design is simple and its stainless steel. The only reason you might have mash trouble is, as you guesses, that it has no center support. The pickup tube should keep it from moving.

I am a little biased as I am selling one in the market section but if you use a keg mash tun you will have the best luck with a Jaybird 15" hinged false bottom.

Ideally you want a full diameter false bottom for the most efficient fly sparging, but it's even more important if you plan to direct fire the tun.

Great point. I forgot to mention I am not direct firing my tun. I am using a herms. I understand the reasoning behind the full diameter false bottom. Do you think it will work if I try this one out prior to getting another one?

Back