Mash Tun Discoloration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thadeus_d3

Reaction score
I'm using a 10g Home Depot cooler as a mash tun. After my last brew, I noticed that there is a slight brown color on inside of the cooler, presumably near the top of the grain bed after mashing.

I always clean my equipment with soapy water after each use and I always discard the grain immediately after sparging. Has this happened to your equipment? Should I worry?

My mash tun has a permanent brownish/yellowish stain from mashing. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Nothing to worry about but I occasionally clean mine with TSP and real hot water and it does clean it up well but does not restore it to looking new.

I'm using a 10g Home Depot cooler as a mash tun. After my last brew, I noticed that there is a slight brown color on inside of the cooler, presumably near the top of the grain bed after mashing.

I always clean my equipment with soapy water after each use and I always discard the grain immediately after sparging. Has this happened to your equipment? Should I worry?

I would be more concerned about residual soap than the discoloration. Oxi clean scent free is a good inexpensive cleaning agent.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

I would be more concerned about residual soap than the discoloration. Oxi clean scent free is a good inexpensive cleaning agent.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

I've read about problems with dish soap and head retention during bottling/kegging, but nothing about it for the mash tun. Not that I don't believe you, but I'm just curious if anyone else cares to weigh in?

I have the same issue but on the outside, I really think it's residual wort from the mash. Hey as long as your beer is delicious than no worries

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back