Mash tun design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessecurrey

Reaction score
Hi guys, my mate and I built a mash tun from a 55L keg. We placed the tap right on the base of the keg instead of on the side of the keg about an inch from the bottom. Do you think this will matter?

We have a false bottom and everything, do you think sediment will be able to pass through and drain out into our finished wort? And if so, is it bad to have a little sediment in our wort when we are transferring it into our boil kettle?

Thanks heaps guys.

Jesse

Hi guys, my mate and I built a mash tun from a 55L keg. We placed the tap right on the base of the keg instead of on the side of the keg about an inch from the bottom. Do you think this will matter?

We have a false bottom and everything, do you think sediment will be able to pass through and drain out into our finished wort? And if so, is it bad to have a little sediment in our wort when we are transferring it into our boil kettle?

Thanks heaps guys.

Jesse

Circulate your mash before transferring into the BK, problem solved.

We have a HERMS setup, so we are constantly recirculating the mash, would that be good enough?

Thanks mate, yeah I thought so, you would think it would act as a "sand filter" sort of.

Latest posts

Back