mash tun design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matc

Reaction score
So I've got a copper manifold in my mash tun and I'm having a few issues with it and I'm thinking about upgrading to a ss braided hose. For those of you using this, how much deadspace do you have ? I assume that as soon as the liquid level drops to the top of the braid, you lose the siphon right away, leaving you with a ton of liquid no ? My manifold has the slits facing downward and I've got almost no deadspace

No dead-space loss for me. Once the tun is almost drained I tip the tun and let the rest (~1qt) drain into a collection vessel while I get my boil going. Easy as that.

I have been using the same hose for a few years now and it has never let me down. Good choice IMO.

Well i guess since my bulkhead is about 2" higher than the bottom, tipping the pot would nit work very well since i rely on a siphon to get everything. Is your bulkhead very close to the bottom of your pot ?

Instead of hooking the braid directly to the bulkhead you might want to put a couple of 90 deg. fittings together and make an offset pipe to get down to the bottom of the MLT. Hook the braid to the end of that.

I know but a braid is still 1/2" thick so when the liquid level will be 1/2", i will lose my siphon right away. Now 1/2" of liquid in a 15" pot is a lot of beer lost no ? And thats with the braid fully seated at the bottom

When you get to the bottom, it's just weak sparge water anyway... not that big of a deal to leave a cup or two.
Like others have said, use elbows to get all the way to the bottom, and then tip it and you'll only leave a cup or so.
We're talking about pennies worth of grain to make that up.

Okay so I put together a very quick design with a 3/4" ss braid. I get 600 mL of leftover with a water test (which is 0.63 quarts). Is that acceptable ? My previous copper manifold had about 0.3 quarts of deadspace

I have a bottling spigot that fits a 1/2" copper threaded male connector. A 90 degree street elbow to a T allows the pickup to be at the bottom of the bucket. From the T, I have a SS braid that makes a circle in the middle of the bucket. Total dead space is about 1/2 cup.

I don't see a problem with loss if it's fairly reasonable (not gallons) due to dead space. Just account for it.

Back