Mash Tun design - small batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beestin

Reaction score
Sorry to post this again - i posted in the All grain area a few days ago, got about 100 views but no replies.

Looking to build a small batch mash tun (2gallon). There are a few I'm looking at and one is taller and narrower, the other shorter and wider. Any benefit to one or the other when stirring, sparging, etc ? The wider one fits a 9inch pie sheet perfectly so want to go w that but everything I've seen online shows the taller version.

I would think the short/wide one would be better for stirring, but the tall/narrow one would be better for the sparging?

Sorry to post this again - i posted in the All grain area a few days ago, got about 100 views but no replies.

Looking to build a small batch mash tun (2gallon). There are a few I'm looking at and one is taller and narrower, the other shorter and wider. Any benefit to one or the other when stirring, sparging, etc ? The wider one fits a 9inch pie sheet perfectly so want to go w that but everything I've seen online shows the taller version.

I would think the short/wide one would be better for stirring, but the tall/narrow one would be better for the sparging?

If you're "batch sparging", the height of the grainbed doesn't matter. If you're "fly sparging", you ideally would like some depth in the grainbed. Really, though, it doesn't matter very much.

Back