mash tun build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littled630

Reaction score
Im building my first mash tun. Got my 5 gal igloo cooler, got a new spigot, and made a manifold out of cpvc. Problem i have i need something flexible to go from manifold to back of spigot. Is regular vinyl tubing ok? Its the only thing i could find to go between the two ends which are different sizes. Couldnt find any temp ratings on the label.

I would assume if it doesn't specify a temp rating, it's not rated for high temp. The easiest thing to do would be to boil a piece of the hose in a small amount of water, cool the water, and taste it to see if it lets off any flavors/aromas or loses its shape.

Cheers! :mug:

This sucks. You guys helped but now i cant find any safe tubing in the size i need. 3/4"od x 5/8" is the size i need to fit my application. The only stuff i can find is buy minimum of 10 feet at $20 plus and ill need a total of maybe a foot.

Williamsbrewing.com has 1/2 in high temp tubing it should fit fine 5/8 is only a 10th of an inch more than 1/2 it should stretch or use a touch of pure starsan to lube it up and push it on.

Arg1129 said:
Williamsbrewing.com has 1/2 in high temp tubing it should fit fine 5/8 is only a 10th of an inch more than 1/2 it should stretch or use a touch of pure starsan to lube it up and push it on.

Them's some fine math skills. LOL! Sorry man, just had to. +1 for silicone. That stuff stretches like crazy! 1/2" ID will go over 13/16-7/8" all day.
Cheers! :mug:

Well i found a 3/4"od 5/8"id polyurathane ether base hose that is good to 175 and fda aproved for food contact at usplastics.com but they want over $16 shipping on $8 worth of tubing. I dont think so. I nedd to find somewhere local that sells either silicone, polyurathane, or thermoplastic tubing. Oh boy this could be real fun!!!!

Back