Mash tun assembly Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsbrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been reading a ton of posts on mash tun set up. I got my coolers (LINK) all ready to be converted to a mash tun and HLT. My question is about hooking up the the false bottom I bought. I noticed plumbers tape is recommended when attaching the barb and the OUTSIDE of the ball valve. Is it also used on the INSIDE barb and ball valve connection? I worry about the tape melting at 155+ degrees.

Thanks in advance.

I didn't use any. I disassemble from the barb out for cleaning each time anyways. the tape in my opinion isn't needed as there really isn't a "leak" concern inside the tun. If it were loose enough I guess it could impact a siphon from occurring. Never had an issue with not using it.

There's no problem using thread tape on the inside. It's PTFE i.e. Teflon, with a melting point of 620F and it's used in e.g. espresso machines at well over 212F.

Back