Mash tun as hop back

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcampo

Reaction score
Anyone tried or thought of using their stainless steel keggle mash tun as a hop back and/or whirlpool tun instead of building or buying a whole new hop back?

My only concern is that it would be too big to efficiently work as a hopback since most hop backs I see on the market are around 3 liters or smaller, compared to my 15.5 gallon sanke keg.

Any thoughts?

Depends on how exactly you use it. If you are running it at partial capacity in line on the way to the chiller then I dont see why it wouldnt work. I spent quite a few years at a brewery where we used a massive hop strainer as a hopback. It was essentially a lauter tun. I know of quite a few pro brewers that use their lauter tun as a hopback occasionally, especially when doing wet hop beers. Just a pain to have to rush to clean it out well prior to use as a hopback.

But if you are just emptying the kettle to the lauter tun completely before chilling, then you might as well just do a hopstand right in the kettle.

Ya I Think im going to go that route, to just use my Mash tun as a hopback and whirlpool tun. That way I have less equipment lying around.

Latest posts

Back