Mash thickness with false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
I should have one of jaybirds false bottoms for a keg by the end of the week. I will be recircuating and direct firing the mashtun. I always mashed at 1.25 with my cooler and braid, should I go thinner with the false bottom? What ratio do you use?

The 1.25qt/lbs ratio is fine, but you could go thinner if you wanted to. A lot of commercial breweries use anything between 2-3qt/lbs. I usually use around 2 qt/lbs.

I would go thinner especially if I were recirculating/direct firing.

I don't recirculate, but do use 1.4-2 qts per lb, fly sparge, with great success. It also depends on your kettle volume. I can get 16+ lbs with 5.5 gallons in a 7.5 gal kettle. I have since graduated to a 9 gal mash kettle, both are direct fire, hand stirred.

I would start with 1.5 qt/lb. That ratio has worked well for me. On occasion, I have maxed out the MT volume with grain bills so large that I had to cut back to 1.2 qts/lb and the lower ration worked just as well. 1.5 is my standard under normal conditions. You can always add some additional (heated) water if the mash is too thick. It won't be too thin at the 1.5 ratio.

Back