Mash temps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twobrokebrewing

Reaction score
Does any one know if mashing at higher temps, let's say 158 deg. Gives you a lower og. Or do you still get the same calculated og and just a higher fg. Please excuse me if I posted this wrong, it's my first post. Still learning my way around the forum.

I am new to this as well, but as I understand it, higher mash temps favor certain proteins that tend to leave more complex sugars in the wort thus leaving a sweeter maltier beer in the end. Lots of folks can give you the deeper answer, but that's the quickie answer

Mash temp doesn't affect og, OG comes from how much grains, their potential, and your system's efficiency. Mashing at a higher temp should give you a higher fg as stated above because of extracting more complex unfermentable sugars. In my experience the difference is minimal to non existent when mashing higher to get a higher fg

Mash temp doesn't affect og, OG comes from how much grains, their potential, and your system's efficiency. Mashing at a higher temp should give you a higher fg as stated above because of extracting more complex unfermentable sugars. In my experience the difference is minimal to non existent when mashing higher to get a higher fg

I've had the same experience with higher temperatures. The only times I've moved the needle on the FG is by heating/stirring through the entire duration of the mash (by hand) to ensure an even temperature and then mashing out to stop enzyme activity... but it's too much work!

I do not have any info on this and have never brewed all grain but I had a beer the other day and it was a 12% brew. The info page stated they were able to get the high number because they mashed it at a lower temp to get the og up higher. ????

I do not have any info on this and have never brewed all grain but I had a beer the other day and it was a 12% brew. The info page stated they were able to get the high number because they mashed it at a lower temp to get the og up higher. ????

The lower (150F) mash temp will allow more fermentable sugars to be produced, allowing for a higher ABV...

"I am new to this as well, but as I understand it, higher mash temps favor certain proteins that tend to leave more complex sugars in the wort thus leaving a sweeter maltier beer in the end. Lots of folks can give you the deeper answer, but that's the quickie answer"

No, not really.... It is enzymatic action that is responsible for producing sugars. However, proteinase is an enzyme that has the ability to break down beta glucans into glucose at a certain temperature. Proteinase isn't kilned out of modern malt. Then, beta can work on the glucose, producing maltose and maltriose. Higher mash temps allow alpha to do their thing. There are two types of alpha, I and II. They work at different temps. Research German recipes, not Americanized versions. Many times, after a beta rest, the brewmaster will crank up the heat and do two rests, favoring alpha I and II. Boiling down the wort will increase gravity. The more sugar in solution, the higher the gravity.

Back