Mash Temps for a Wit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
Trying to figure out if wits are generally mashed high, low, in the middle, etc. I'd guess low, but am not sure.

A protein rest at 122° is recommended when brewing a Witbier; somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 minutes. Then add a second infusion of water to bring the mash up to 154° for your saccharification rest for 45 minutes.

Another thing to keep in mind is the boil should not be too vigorous; in fact, a strong simmer for 90 minutes is ideal. You want to keep the proteins in solution for the haze and for the moussy, persistent head. Omit any kettle finings like Irish Moss or Whirlfloc.

A protein rest at 122° is recommended when brewing a Witbier; somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 minutes. Then add a second infusion of water to bring the mash up to 154° for your saccharification rest for 45 minutes.

How would one go about finding out how much water to start the protein rest with before adding the second infusion. If you are gona be adding somethig like 8 quarts of boiling water to bring the temp up to 154 wouldn't that make the mash really thin? (just in case I have the thin and thick turned around I mean too much water)

Is it as simple as just doing the math so that after your infusion you have your total mash volume?

How would one go about finding out how much water to start the protein rest with before adding the second infusion. If you are gona be adding somethig like 8 quarts of boiling water to bring the temp up to 154 wouldn't that make the mash really thin? (just in case I have the thin and thick turned around I mean too much water)

Is it as simple as just doing the math so that after your infusion you have your total mash volume?

Your software will help calculate the infusion amount and temperature needed to step the temp up to your saccharification temp.

See my Whirling Dervish Wit in my pull down for a sample mash schedule. I mash-in thick at 1 qt/lb for the protein rest, then infuse at 2 qt/lb to step things up.

Another thing to keep in mind is the boil should not be too vigorous; in fact, a strong simmer for 90 minutes is ideal. You want to keep the proteins in solution for the haze and for the moussy, persistent head. Omit any kettle finings like Irish Moss or Whirlfloc.

Maybe I'll try this this weekend with BM's Black Pepper Wit. Never done a step mash though and don;t want to mess my beer up :) Didn't know about a simmer for 90 minutes on wit's. Should I just start my 60 minute schedule as normal after the 30 minute or adjust? It's just one 60 minute hop addition.

Maybe I'll try this this weekend with BM's Black Pepper Wit. Never done a step mash though and don;t want to mess my beer up :) Didn't know about a simmer for 90 minutes on wit's. Should I just start my 60 minute schedule as normal after the 30 minute or adjust? It's just one 60 minute hop addition.

Sure, you can add hops at 60 (in fact I usually do!) - you'll just use slightly more to get the same (albeit minimal) amount of IBUs. I've often adjusted amounts between 75-45 minutes to get a nice convenient round amount rather some wonky 1.12568 oz .

You can also add a teaspoon of white flour to the boil to keep the haze.

...but don't be a dummy like me and toss in the flour dry from the spoon...instant flour balls...haha. Make a slurry with a few tablespoons of cool water, then pour in with 10-15 minutes left in the boil.

If you're using torrified wheat I take it there's no need for the protein rest (at least, I hope there's not).

well I did the light 90 minute boil partly because I brain farted and added an extra gallon of water thinking I messed up my sparging, only to realize I didn't. Also added 2tbls flour slurry.

Back