Mash Temperature to hit Brewing Classic Styles FG's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bumstigedy

Reaction score
Can people comment on how many degrees above or below the mash temperatures specified in Brewing Classic Styles they mash at to hit the FG'
s? Please also comment on your mash method/system as well.

I'm finding that I have to mash at about 4F lower than the temperatures in the book to hit the FG's; this seems low to me and I would like to hear others experience.

I have a direct fired mash tun with temperature measured manually using a thermapen. I also manually adjust the burner and off. I babysit the mash and turn the burner off when it is 1 degree above the target temp and back on when it is about 1 degree below. I recirculate using a pump during the mash.

I have verified that this isn't a fermentation issue by forced fermentation tests.

Not that it matters, but I batch sparge and achieve about 75% efficiency.

Thanks!

Hmm...my system is pretty much identical to yours and I tend to hit the BCS numbers at stated temps. Where are you measuring your temperature?

I use a 10G water cooler MLT and also batch sparge. I shoot for the mash temps stated in the book when I brew those recipes, and lately my attenuation is a bit more than the recipes. I don't mash out though, so that might be part of it. pretty sure he doesn't specify doing a mashout in brewing classic styles, though.

I forgot to mention that I do a mashout step.

I measure the temperature by sticking the probe into various points of the mash and also measure the temperature of the wort as it returns to the mash tun from recirculation. I gave up on relying on the brewmometer after a bad experience (wasn't calibrated).

Back