Mash temp issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinnan5150

Reaction score
So I am about halfway trough my mash. I notice he temp start to drop. I turn he heat back on and the dog starts clawing at the door. I take him out and come back to find I am at 200. I am now letting it cool down and when I hit mash temps I plan on resting another 1/2 hour. Will I get the same result or did I just dick everything up?

If you're mash hit 200 then you've already denatured all the enzymes and there is no point in brining it back down and continuing the mash. Just go ahead and sparge.

But I wouldn't worry about it too much because most of the conversion is usually done in about the first 20 minutes or so of a mash. So if you got 30 minutes then you're probably fine. What was your mash temp? Higher mash temps will convert faster than lower ones, but either way I still think you'll be fine.

Some people might say you will have extracted tannins by bringing the temp up so high, but I wouldn't worry too much about that either. It's my understanding that tannin extraction is more a result of pH than temperature.

you've effectively denatured all the enzymes and stopped conversion. the good news is that most if not all of the conversion was already done, so you should probably be on target for FG. the bad news is that by raising temps that high with the grain still present you may have extracted tannins resulting in astringent beer. my advice is to lauter and sparge asap to prevent more extraction

Just make sure you get the temp back under control within 20 min or so, because that's your window for enzyme deactivation.

I think at 200F the enzymes would be denatured very rapidly.

My mash temp was 157. I am BiAB so no sparge.

157 is a pretty high mash temp, so I think you'll be just fine. At that temp conversion would happen pretty quickly. And you're obviously going for a less fermentable wort anyway.

EDIT: Since you're BIAB I would just go ahead and move on to whatever you would do after the mash, because your mash is done. Which would be drain the bag and boil I guess?

peterj said:
I think at 200F the enzymes would be denatured very rapidly.

157 is a pretty high mash temp, so I think you'll be just fine. At that temp conversion would happen pretty quickly. And you're obviously going for a less fermentable wort anyway.

EDIT: Since you're BIAB I would just go ahead and move on to whatever you would do after the mash, because your mash is done. Which would be drain the bag and boil I guess?

Yup. Drain the bag and boil. Really frustrating. All the more reason to not have a dog.

Yup. Drain the bag and boil. Really frustrating. All the more reason to not have a dog.

Or, pay better attention when it really matters :rolleyes:

You could have turned the heat off, take the dog out, turn it back on when you come back in.

IMO, pets are worth WAYYYY more than beer :fro:

stpug said:
Or, pay better attention when it really matters :rolleyes:

You could have turned the heat off, take the dog out, turn it back on when you come back in.

IMO, pets are worth WAYYYY more than beer :fro:

I guess it is all personal opinion but I would take beer over a dog any day. He remains fed because my wife is fond of him

the bad news is that by raising temps that high with the grain still present you may have extracted tannins resulting in astringent beer.

Nah, as long as the pH was low he's fine. Remember during a decoction mash you boil part of the mash and it's fine.

Doesn't hitting a temp of 170 or above effectively stop any additional enzymatic conversion?

Yes, but it's not instant. You need to hold the mash at 170° for 20 minutes to denature the enzymes and stop conversion. It's faster at hotter temps.

Do you have a source for 20 min? The mash enzymes are denaturing rapidly even at 150°F, so I've always understood mashout at 170°F to be done within 5 minutes, especially considering if it takes you 10 minutes or more to raise the temperature to that point.

Modern malts tend to complete conversion in under 30 minutes. I usually only mash 30 min if in the 150 to 158F range. Iodine test will let you know.

An iodine test will tell you if the liberated starches have converted, but what about the starches that have not yet been gelatinized? Is there some time advantage to a longer mash based on this...e.g. An increase in extract due to time?

I tried it with a porter. Maybe it was converted all the way; it just stayed black.

Back