Mash reached 190F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whatsgoodmiley

Reaction score
I attempted to brew a 10% Belgian golden Strong with four temp rests. I hit my b-glucanase rest but barely saturated the 18# of grain. My next rest was 146F but I added 2 gallons of boiling water, as per my mashing calculator I used, and hit 190F. It took me about 10-20 minutes to add ice and dough in all my other rests and sparge water and get it down to 150F.

I guess the grain just absorb the first rest’s water, then basically get doughed in with a 212F load of water?

My question is can it be salvaged? I’m not doing the fancy things I had in store for it now, but I added some honey malt (just hoping it can add some enzymatic activity if it has any) and have some hops and dry yeast satchets lying around...

Thanks

Go all the way with your mash and do a iodine test at the end of it.
Pray that the extreme hot water haven't denatured all the enzymes.
If the iodine test fails I don't see how to save it.

I decocted it to sparge temps and it’s passed the iodine test, so I’ll see it through. Thanks for the reminder!

There may be a lot of starch and dextrines in it. I would finish it and see how it ferments and what your OG ends up at. Given the base is a belgian strong, it isn't too dissimilar from lambic. Where yeast can't break down starches or dextrins, brett can. I would dilute it down to no more than 1.060 if you go the brett route.

Or mash a couple of pounds of 6 row and add that in.

I’m tired and I’d honestly rather just try again in a few weeks and just take the loss in time and $20 than deal with this never ending sparge and botched mash. Thanks for helping out everyone!

Yeah, you could add more crushed malt to get some enzymes back, or maybe some amylase.

I’ll use the little bit of wort I got out to make 1-2 gallons of something weird

Latest posts

Back