Mash ratios with a FB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyBoy

Reaction score
Does anyone, in addition to figuring out their amount of water per pound of grain, add a set amount of water to compensate for their FB when calculating their mash? Seems logical in a sense...

I use about 1.5 to 1.6 depending on if I need to add to hit my temp and obviously when I have a smaller grain bill my mash is thicker due to some of the water being below the FB. I am thinking about adding the 1 or 2 gallons in my calculation and maybe lowering my qt/lb if needed so I can keep the same consistancy in all my future mashes.

I found out that it takes 7/8 of a gallon to reach the bottom of my false bottom which is on the extreme end because it's a 15" diameter in a keg. Once I knew that, I took my normal ratio of 1.25 qt/lb and whatever that is, I add a gallon. In most cases, it puts the ratio closer to 1.5 qt/lb.

Cool. I will get a gallon jug and see what the actual volume is prior to mashing on my next batch.

Thanks,

Tom

Back