Mash Out Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdauria

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Quick question for the water experts, when using a water spreadsheet like Bru'N Water, when my recipe has a mash out, do I add that water volume to the sparge volume or the mash volume. My assumption is to the sparge, since at the time of the mash out, the mash water has hopefully already hit it's proper pH level!

Thanks!

Quick question for the water experts, when using a water spreadsheet like Bru'N Water, when my recipe has a mash out, do I add that water volume to the sparge volume or the mash volume. My assumption is to the sparge, since at the time of the mash out, the mash water has hopefully already hit it's proper pH level!

Thanks!

I'm not an expert, just a water enthusiast, but that's what I would do. Your objectives are hitting mash pH and getting whatever your desired mineral levels are, and you can accomplish both by treating mash out as part of sparge.

Back