Mash out water needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpsterboy

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the amount of mash out water needed and what the temp of the mash out water should be. I have a 18#grain bill and I am going to mash with 23.5qts(almost 6 gallons of strike water 165*) for 60 min and mash at 152* I then am trying to figure out how much mash out water to use and what temp. I guess this amount will then be added and then rest for 10 minutes before I vorlauf then collect my first runnings. Once I collect that I will batch sparge with the amount needed to collect a total of 6.5 gallons to my boil kettle. I can figure out that sparge water amount at 168* just from measuring the difference, but still not sure about mash out part. Thanks

I am trying to figure out the amount of mash out water needed and what the temp of the mash out water should be. I have a 18#grain bill and I am going to mash with 23.5qts(almost 6 gallons of strike water 165*) for 60 min and mash at 152* I then am trying to figure out how much mash out water to use and what temp. I guess this amount will then be added and then rest for 10 minutes before I vorlauf then collect my first runnings. Once I collect that I will batch sparge with the amount needed to collect a total of 6.5 gallons to my boil kettle. I can figure out that sparge water amount at 168* just from measuring the difference, but still not sure about mash out part. Thanks

Too much math for me:drunk: I choose not to do a mashout. Though I have done it before and added a gallon or so of near boiling water to the mash and stir it in good. Brings the temp up to round 170 area.

download brewzro pro beta on your andriod phone it has a nice infusion calculator on there that is very accurate. otherwise search infusion calculator on google.

Back