mash now.. boil later..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aModestMouse

Reaction score
so the weather wasn't to bad while i was doing my mashing/sparging inside.. then when it came time to boil. a **** storm arose.. needless to say i didn't get a boil going even after an hour of sitting on the burner. didn't feel like waste anymore gas so would it be alright to leave the wort for another time.. tomorrow or the next day, depending on the weather. has anyone had this issue before? i didn't think it would be to much of a problem but didn't want to screw anything up.

I just finished doing this tonight. Mashed my lambic and brought the wort to a boil, then poured it into a HDPE cube and capped it. I'll finish the beer in a couple of days once life is a little less crazy.

If you're leaving the wort in the pot, cover it and keep it as cold as you can. It will be fine overnight. I'm just leaving mine outside- the ambient temp is around 20 degrees at night. For longer timeline, put it in a sanitized cube and cap it.

If you haven't boiled it, then there is a good chance you'll get an infection. The grains aren't clean when you use them, I wouldn't be surprised if you see activity.

If you haven't boiled it, then there is a good chance you'll get an infection. The grains aren't clean when you use them, I wouldn't be surprised if you see activity.

It really depends on the temp. Lacto isn't very happy at lower temps. I've had 0 problems with keeping cool runnings overnight before boiling. There are those on this forum (Texbrew for one, iirc) who leave the whole deal in the mash tun overnight with no issues.

Edit: Not Texbrew. Texlaw? I just remember it was one of those crazy texans. :)

All I know is that if I don't clean out my MLT, in even just a few hours it starts to smell.

I have had no problems mashing at night and boiling in the morning. I just keep the runnings at room temp with no issues.

To avoid infection, I simply raise the temp of the wort to over 175 for 10-15 minutes to kill anything nasty.

thanks for the replies fellas.. i decided to go ahead and boil on my stove top, regardless of never trying it. turned out pretty good, hit my target OG on the dot and used my custom CFC for the first time and it worked like a charm. pitched the yeast i had going and she's bubbling away in my closet now. anyways, thanks for the replies. ill be able to use this info for future reference.

Sounds like as long as you mash out at 175F or higher like Tech211 said, then you will basically be pasteurizing the wort. If you seal it at pasteurization temps, then theoretically it should be fine overnight or longer. Personally I would bring it to a quick boil, then pour it into a no-chill cube.

I've got a friend on a similar note that just wraps up his brew pot with a bunch of saran wrap and tin foil and lets it chill down to pitching temps overnight right there on his stove. That's a little bold for me, but it works for him.

This is my regular routine. I usually mash Friday night and boil Saturday. Cover the runnings with foil and kiss them goodnight.
Saturdays tend to be a bit busy with the kids and such so I find that this schedule works for me and keeps peace in the house.

I'm not sure how this would cause a DMS (corn flavor) problem.

Back