Mash Mixers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This months BYO has an article on "Maximize Your Mash" by Walter Diaz. One of the methods they detail is mash mixing. A lot of the science is over my head, but there are some technical advantages brought up.

A search of HBT came up with very few references to mash mixing and most of them are old. I'm curious about how many homebrewers use this technique and if so, what their system is.

This months BYO has an article on "Maximize Your Mash" by Walter Diaz. One of the methods they detail is mash mixing. A lot of the science is over my head, but there are some technical advantages brought up.

A search of HBT came up with very few references to mash mixing and most of them are old. I'm curious about how many homebrewers use this technique and if so, what their system is.

I think a while back (6-7 years ago?) someone on this forum posted some photos of an automatic mash rake they rigged up. It seems to me that it may have been Brewpastor- but my memory is very foggy on this and a search doesn't turn it up.

Thanks for the links. Some I've seen. Some not.

Most are somewhat old, so I wonder if these guys are still mixing or have moved on to other systems? RIMS, HERMS and electric seem to be taking up a lot of the creative DIY'ers time these days. It will be interesting to see if the BYO article inspires brewers to revisit this practice.

Traditionally mash mixers are used in a dedicated mash tun, then transferred to a lauter tun for sparging. The 1.5bbl system at Davis is like this and the mash mixer is run at 150RPM. Mash mixers make direct heating of the tun easier.

Mash mixers make direct heating of the tun easier.
I started mixing over four years ago for this reason. It's a MLT, not dedicated to mashing. Started by experimenting with a 15G stainless kettle on a 1500W George Foreman grill. Slow progression to a 1650W water heater element directly in the mash. It’s been an entertaining MacGyver type experience.

By the response to this thread, it’s not something that has much appeal to most homebrewers.

I have thought about mixing the mash, but find that my RIMS system doesn't require it. I first started to think about it when trying to find a use for an old BBQ spit motor that I had lying around. Still haven't found a use for the motor.:)

In my little experience, it gives you better performance if you have a mt and a lt. I've tried it in a 10bbl system and a 15bbl system with a mlt and is not worthy. It compact the grain bed, is a pain in the azz to lauter because it get stucked, and the wort doesnt clarify enough. Although is necesary for mixing grain and water because you cant do it with a mash paddle by hand. As I've said before, in my humble experience it doesnt work in a small system.

Cheers.

Charlie Page.

Ps: sorry for my poor english. I'm from a spanish speaking country.

What advantage is there to it that makes it worth it?
From BYO:
In mash mixing systems where the mash is continually agitated, a similar degree of colloidal protection of insulated single infusion systems is expected. This is because wort is never separated from the mash as in re-circulated systems for heating up in temperature ramps. A technical advantage of a mechanically mixed mash system over non-agitated single infusions is that the product inhibition effect is diminished because of the active mixing action promoting enzyme to substrate binding (KI reaction).

As I said earlier, some of this stuff is over my head and I haven't done any further reading to better understand it. For my purposes, I mix so that I can direct heat to ramp temperatures and hold an even temperature throughout the bed once I reach a step.

With my system, using it as an MLT, I have no problems with compacting the bed or stuck lauter. I mix continuously until about the last five minutes of the mash. At that point I shut off the mixer and recirculate with a 12V solar pump. When the wort runs clear, I pump to my kettle.

Is the beer better than a single infusion insulated cooler would give me? Probably not, but a part of this hobby that I like is the challenge of getting stuff like this to work without spending a ton of money.

From BYO:

As I said earlier, some of this stuff is over my head and I haven't done any further reading to better understand it. For my purposes, I mix so that I can direct heat to ramp temperatures and hold an even temperature throughout the mash once I reach a step.

With my system, using it as an MLT, I have no problems with compacting the bed or stuck lauter. I mix continuously until about the last five minutes of the mash. At that point I shut off the mixer and recirculate with a 12V solar pump. When the wort runs clear, I pump to my kettle.

Is the beer better than a single infusion insulated cooler would give me? Probably not, but a part of this hobby that I like is the challenge of getting stuff like this to work without spending a ton of money.

Got it. Hope you enjoy it. It's nothing that interests me.

Latest posts

Back