MASH Inside, boil outside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinthompson85

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this technique? Looking for a way to stay more engaged with the family until it comes to boil time. Wondering if anyone has tried something close to this to see how it went. Was thinking heating mash water inside in smaller batches on my stove top then moving outside to boil. Would target 10 gal batches still.

How are you planning on moving 12 or 13 gallons of wort? A few gallons at a time?

It's not a bad idea in theory, but getting things in place for the boil is an issue.

I had to move as others disliked the odor.
I know, I know. What's not to love? But apparently, I am alone on that, at least in my house.

But carrying 11+ gallons of mash outside to boil makes my back ache, just thinking of it.

How are you planning on moving 12 or 13 gallons of wort? A few gallons at a time?

It's not a bad idea in theory, but getting things in place for the boil is an issue.
Pffft. Just run some PVC from the kitchen to the porch. Honey won't mind.

I could add that I used to do that with my 5 gal batches. It is kind of nice to put the water on my gas stove...and by the time I had the grain milled and stuff organized it was up to strike temps. I then did the mash in my kitchen while I got breakfast.

I stopped because 1) my outdoor propane burner does heat up water faster than my stove and 2) it just got to the point where I was feeling uncomfortable carrying a hot pot of 4 gals of water and 12 lbs of grain down a flight of stairs to my back patio. Less lifting + less trips up and down the stairs = more enjoyable brew day. I cannot fathom doing that for a 10 gal batch.

I do 5 gal batches. I have no idea why I said 10. Maybe a had too many brews? Major edit: 5 gal batches.

Getting a remote thermometer with a temperature alert would allow you to still heat everything outside, but be inside while the actual heating is taking place, without having to keep going out to monitor the temp.

I did that at our previous house for years. Wisconsin winters were too cold to mash outdoors. I made an electric HLT so I could safely mash in the basement. I'd carry the wort out to boil in two batches to make it easier.

I do 5 gal batches. I have no idea why I said 10. Maybe a had too many brews? Major edit: 5 gal batches.

You will be fine then. It actually makes it easier to not disturb family stuff going on. Not sure what type of stove you have but I was able to heat up strike water on the stove as well. I use a propane burner outside. So while it was mashing i was heating the strike, worked out ok (first time i had to take it outside as i started it to late but eventually you get an idea of when to start heating)

I think I'll give it a shot. Would keep me less detached from everything if I could mash inside.

I mash in the kitchen with a 10-gal. Igloo. Moving it outside to drain, batch sparge & boil isn't too bad. I like using the NG stove because it's much less expensive than LP. I heat my sparge water inside too. I have a 5-gal. Igloo from my early all-grain brewing. It takes a little longer, but there is enough to do to get ready for the outside brewing portion.

To have more time engaged with the family, you will have to organize your setup process differently from mine. I fit the prep work into the water heating time, but it could easily be done the night before.

Back