Mash Hopping...What gives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthwestBrewman2013

Reaction score
I read a few articles on Mash Hopping. Certainly like the idea but unsure on the concept still? I brew mainly using pellet hops. Do those work better with this idea? Would love some feedback before trying it out.

Some people have too many hops and want to get rid of them seems.

That was what I thought. Although, the idea of it is intriguing. Maybe I'll have to do an experimental batch and see what it amounts to. Just wanted to see if anyone else had used this idea and had success? Sounds like a FWH on steroids, honestly.

What's the idea behind throwing hops in the mash? The temperature only gets up to 170-180F, similar to a hopstand/whirlpool... my understanding is that you would extract a lot of wonderful delicate oils and aromatics that would be otherwise be boiled off (the entire idea behind a hopstand/whirlpool)... then boil them off. Or is there something I'm missing?

What's the idea behind throwing hops in the mash? The temperature only gets up to 170-180F, similar to a hopstand/whirlpool... my understanding is that you would extract a lot of wonderful delicate oils and aromatics that would be otherwise be boiled off (the entire idea behind a hopstand/whirlpool)... then boil them off. Or is there something I'm missing?

At what point does your mash temp reach 180°F? And for how long?

I agree, when would a mash ever get over even 160 degrees? @okiedog thank you for the resources. My reason for this post was to potentially try to find a way to utilize older hops that I need to purge by trying something that is new to my arsenal.

I can't see how volatiles and aromatics survive mashing+boiling, when they don't survive just boiling.

Put me in the just wasting hops camp.

Whoops. I was thinking of the max temp the pre-boil wort would reach when I said 170-180F. It would have been clearer if I had mentioned the sparge temp being 170-180F, not the mash.

Clarification: I don't mash at 180F.

I can't see how volatiles and aromatics survive mashing+boiling, when they don't survive just boiling.

Put me in the just wasting hops camp.

I'm with you there, but apparently there is evidence that at least some volatiles do survive the boil. However, I have seen no definitive studies on this. Perhaps there is some sort of conversion that takes place that at least partially protects the volatile oils from vaporizing in the boil. It would be nice to know for sure. I do FWH, but mostly for the increased utilization and "perceived smoother bittering.

Back