Mash Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The recipe I want to make tomorrow has some mashing techniques that are above my skill and equipment. I was hoping to scale it down a bit and am hoping you guys can help.

Here is the schedule...
122° 10 min
134° 15 min
152° 60 min
168° 20 min
Mash at 1.5 qt per pound.

It is a kolsch but I don't have the equipment to do a step mash. (I don't think)

If you have a kettle, you can do stepped mashes. I'm not sure why you need a protein rest, but whatever. Where's you get the schedule?

Anyway...I do almost all my mashes in a kettle, and the step-ups are done with direct heat. My first rest is achieved via infusion...so I'll heat the water to usually about 140-145 (you need to do the calcs) in order to get to my target of 133. I hold there for 30 mins, then turn the burner on and stir constantly until I get to 149-155. I hold there for 45 mins, then up it to 158 for 20 mins or until the iodine test shows negative. I then raise to 167 and drain/sparge. All of my increases are via direct heat. Yes, you obviously have more rapid heat loss in a kettle because it's not insulated, so you have to keep a close eye on your temps. If you fall out of the range of your rest, just apply a little heat for a minute or two while stirring, and you should be able to easily bring it back up.

Can I see your recipe? The reason I ask is because all you need for authentic kolsch is 100% pilsener malt and a decoction mash. It looks like your mash falls within the decoction style. If you want to make it easier, throw in 5% munich malt and just do a single infusion around 149F. The munich gives you a little melanoidin flavor and aroma that emulated a decoction mash. And the lower mash temp allows the beer to dry out, just like authentic kolsch, most reach about80% attenuation. I have brewed kolsch beer with decoctions and without, and have settled on adding 5% munich to simulate a decoction. The beer ends up tasting great and taking less time to brew. However the choice is yours, do you want to spend 6 hours doing a decoction mash or do you want to "cheat" by adding munich. Either way will yield a good beer.

EDIT: I just saw the recipe. I really don't think you need all those steps. A simple infusion mash would work just as well.

"I just saw the recipe. I really don't think you need all those steps. A simple infusion mash would work just as well."

That is what I wanted to hear!!!

Back